PDA

View Full Version : ODD WALL TO ROOF QUESTION

jarod.tulanowski
2008-09-30, 08:48 PM
I am trying to do a oval wall object with a sloped roof. I messed around with this issue for about an hour, and I can get a good way to make this object. I first tries curtain walls with sloped glazing, then I tries massing. I think I am having one of those blind Revit moments. nothing seems to work for me.

any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance

mthurnauer
2008-09-30, 08:58 PM
It seems that this would definitely make the most sense by modeling a mass and then creating roof by face and wall by face. For the mass I would make an extrusion of the oval in plan and make it higher than the high point of the roof. Then in an elevation view, make a void extrusion that will cut the oval mass at the slope. That should give you what you need.

cliff collins
2008-09-30, 09:09 PM
1. Build a Mass Family which includes the oval shaped cylinder and a face on top.
Use a Void extrusion to slice the top of the oval cylinder at an angle--use an elevation view,
with a reference plane to align the Void to.

2. Load the Mass family into your project.

3. Using Massing tools, convert the face of the top to a Roof. Convert vertical faces to Walls.

Worked perfectly for me!

cheers.....

jarod.tulanowski
2008-09-30, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. I did the mass yesterday but I was having trouble using the void tool. it always seemed to not want to cut the oval in the left or right plane only the front and back. can you give me an example of what you would do??

samov
2008-09-30, 09:31 PM
I find massing to be quite messy at times... especially if the model will evolve a lot.

My method...

1. Select Wall... draw in plan the shape you desire... (for an elipse, draw two arcs opposite of each other and two tangent arcs connecting them).

2. Switch to an elevation view (whichever you find convenient, or place a view first)... draw a reference plane at the required angle... Name the plane... attach the tops of the wallls to the plane.

3. Sketch the roof either ON the reference plane OR on a "normal" level workplane, using the angle of the reference plane as the angle for the slope.

cliff collins
2008-09-30, 09:32 PM
Make the Void in a plan view, and make it quite a bit larger diameter than the
oval walls. This way, when you tilt it in elevation, it will cut all the way thru the oval
extrusion.

see attached

cheers.....