PDA

View Full Version : new doors in existing walls

bob.86982
2008-09-30, 09:42 PM
I'm working on a remodel project and have existing, new and demolished elements. I have my phase filter set to all, and when I insert a new door in an existing wall it puts in the door and the demolished wall lines through the opening, but it does not show the sides (jambs) of the opening. The set all phase seems to show everything the way I expect except for the door jambs.

Bob

Norton_cad
2008-10-01, 12:42 AM
Try setting the the phase filter to "None"

bob.86982
2008-10-01, 02:32 PM
That doesn't work either, it changes the demolished and existing elements to appear the same as new construction.

cdetore
2008-10-01, 02:56 PM
If you don't want to see the demo elements try setting the phase filter to Previous + New. All New construction shows normally and all existing (all previous phases) show as poched existing elements.

CD

gary.mcleod
2008-10-01, 03:09 PM
are you sure the detail level is set to fine to see the jambs to begin with?

bob.86982
2008-10-01, 03:34 PM
After looking at the help files I see there is a lot to learn about how set up a remodel project. This is my first remodel in Revit and my first exposure to phases. I started by creating my as-bulit drawing and then did a save as in a new project for my remodel. It appears I should be creating new sheets within the project for the new construction and the existing construction?

Can someone recommend a good thread on this subject to help me get started off right.

cwilrycx.109927
2008-10-01, 04:13 PM
Know what you are going to end up doing is rule 01. Revit is a dream for tenant improvements and renovations. Start of by having your First Floor Plan show existing. This way all the elements you create and place will logically be placed in exisiting. Then when you are done creating that part of the buidling that you will need, or the whole thing, this includes reflected ceilings and fixtures and such...then get to using the demo tool...OR....duplicate the first floor plan and maybe relabel the prior plan to exisitng floor plan. At the point the Floor Plan can the nbe changed to New Construction. filter to show previous and new on this plan. hope some of this helps......like all things revit, do it like you would in the real world.....

Andre Carvalho
2008-10-01, 05:11 PM
I'm working on a remodel project and have existing, new and demolished elements. I have my phase filter set to all, and when I insert a new door in an existing wall it puts in the door and the demolished wall lines through the opening, but it does not show the sides (jambs) of the opening. The set all phase seems to show everything the way I expect except for the door jambs.

Bob

Just select the "Unjoin geometry" tool and select the dashed infill.

That should show the sides that were "hidden".

I hope it helps,

Andre Carvalho

bob.86982
2008-10-01, 05:26 PM
Andre,

Thanks, I thought there should be an easy solution even though I don't understand why that is necessary or why it works. Can anyone explain?

Andre Carvalho
2008-10-01, 05:34 PM
Andre,

Thanks, I thought there should be an easy solution even though I don't understand why that is necessary or why it works. Can anyone explain?

The thing is when the door is added and the infill is created, Revit automatically joins it with the existing wall and the line between both existing and new wall disappear... That's why when you unjoin them, the line is brought back.

Andre Carvalho

bob.86982
2008-10-01, 05:44 PM
The only problem that I just noticed is when I go back to the existing phase it shows the infill lines and jambs on the existing drawing?