PDA

View Full Version : Revit running on Windows Surver 2003?

AJGKennedy
2008-10-01, 01:59 PM
Our IT guy has an idea... he was thinking of setting up Windows Server 2003 on a work station with lots of RAM for a Revit work station...

I was just curious... what others would think of this guys idea?

Munkholm
2008-10-01, 06:27 PM
I really don´t see what you would gain by doing that ?

Would be a lot better to install XP PRO 64, or VISTA 64, and then install the latest 64 bit build of Revit (can be downloaded from subscribtioncenter). In that way you´ll get all the RAM into play.

AJGKennedy
2008-10-01, 06:45 PM
I know that it is possibly in the works that they may be looking at 64bit operating system as well... but there has been some friction and this was an idea this IT guy had that seemed to be his way around not having to deal with it... But I think he is coming around... I was thinking with this post I might hear some things that I could pass on to him to really push him in the right direction... and give the right information smooth out that friction...

Why oh why must there always be friction?

jsnyder.68308
2008-10-01, 09:39 PM
It's called "dynamic tension" in our office. It supposedly helps to produce better designs.

Does your IT guy have any way of measuring an improvement in the proposed solution over what you currently have? If he cannot measure it in a meaningful way, it's a waste of time IMO.

AJGKennedy
2008-10-02, 12:27 PM
It's called "dynamic tension" in our office. It supposedly helps to produce better designs.

Does your IT guy have any way of measuring an improvement in the proposed solution over what you currently have? If he cannot measure it in a meaningful way, it's a waste of time IMO.
That's good...and I haven’t heard of anything other than the “how do you think it runs” approach... so there it is...

I think that it would be nice if we would just go the tried, tested and proven route... 64bit operating system.... with the 64bit Revit... then lots of RAM… Sounds like the best plan to me...

"Dynamic Tension" I like that.... ;)

cliff collins
2008-10-02, 01:06 PM
Go to 64 bit, with lots of ram.

cheers..