PDA

View Full Version : Link Instance deleted

DaveP
2008-10-01, 06:43 PM
After spending most of the morning trying to figure out why I could see a link anywhere, I finally realized that it's Instance had been deleted.
The Link is still Loaded, it just isn't placed anywhere.

My question is, how do I get it back in the right place? I can right-click in the Browser and say "Create Instance", but then I get the moving preview and nowhere to say "same place"
When you first Import a link, you can say "Origin to Origin", but I don't have that option with Create Instance. This is an Equipment model, so there are no Grids or Walls or anything I can use for a Move point.
And, I don't want to Remove the Link and Link it in again, because I've got a WHOLE BUNCH of View Templates set up that will lose the link settings.

BTW, if you're having a similar issue, I figured it out by going into Visibility/Graphics & the Revit Links tab. I then expanded each of the Links (click on the + sign). I noticed that all of the other links had a sub-category with a number. Except my "missing link". Also in the Project Browser, I could not "Select All Instances" of the missing one.

aggockel50321
2008-10-01, 07:32 PM
Try going to the Manage Links dialog, highlight the link, and then press the "reload from" button at the bottom of the dialog, and navigate to where you have the link.

Chances are you lost the path to the link.

DaveP
2008-10-01, 08:16 PM
Tried that.
Reload, Reload From, none of them worked, because the Link was there, but there were no instances of the link.

I finally figured out that someone had deleted the Instance. When that happens, you get a big fat warning message saying that the last Instance has been deleted, but the Link remains. A big fat warning message that was promptly ignored.

As it happens, on this one, I lucked out because the same file was linked into another project in the same place, so I was able to copy it from one project and paste Aligned into the other. That only worked because I was lucky enough to have it loaded in three places.
So, my original problem is gone, but I know it's going to happen again, so I'd still like to figure out a way to place an instance in its original location

aggockel50321
2008-10-02, 12:07 PM
Take a look at "Shared Positioning" in the help file.

That should do it for you....