PDA

View Full Version : Weird Occurence While Rendering

Allen Lacy
2003-08-11, 02:31 PM
I was attempting to render a site view (3D view>orient>top) and got the typical message about "View extents of rendered image will be determined by model extents..." and then the program just disappears! No warnings, no error messages. And nothing shows up in the journal indicating there was a problem. Anybody have something like this happen?

sbrown
2003-08-11, 03:49 PM
This is because you don't have your crop region turned on, turn it on, set the extents, then re-render. Note you don't want it too large, you may need to scale your drawing down. These plan view renderings can be huge by default, because the default scale is 1/2" so change it to 1/16th or 1/8th and you'll be allright.

Steve Jager
2003-08-11, 05:01 PM
I also have been experiencing some weird rendering activity.

When I try to render a wall assembly with siding (stock off the shelf)
I get a blck vertical line thru the wall in the rendering. IT only happens with siding. The location seems to be arbitrary on dofferent renderings.
It does not show up in shaded views, nor is from splitting the walls.
v5.1 latatest build and before

Allen Lacy
2003-08-11, 06:33 PM
Thanks Scott, you're right. No problems after turning on crop region. I just haven't had Revit close without warning like that too many times.

sbrown
2003-08-12, 01:02 PM
You will notice when rendering what seems like revit has "hung" up sometimes, you will see no progress bar, no hourglass, nothing, its just sitting there and if you ctrl-alt-del and look at task manager you will see it is doing nothing also, then after a period of time, sometimes a few seconds sometimes a few minutes, revit kicks into gear and starts rendering. So be patient and trust in revit and DONT click Restart again and again.

Good luck, rendering is probably one of the most rewarding things to do, when you see your model come together as you envisioned it.

(Invision is a software company. PJ)

JamesVan
2003-08-12, 07:55 PM
I also have been experiencing some weird rendering activity.

When I try to render a wall assembly with siding (stock off the shelf)
I get a blck vertical line thru the wall in the rendering. IT only happens with siding. The location seems to be arbitrary on dofferent renderings.
It does not show up in shaded views, nor is from splitting the walls.
v5.1 latatest build and before

I've encoutered this same problem. Take a look at this rendering, about 2/3 over on the front facade. I wonder if this has to do with a repitition in the patterning?

beegee
2003-08-12, 10:54 PM
JamesVan
I've encoutered this same problem. Take a look at this rendering, about 2/3 over on the front facade. I wonder if this has to do with a repitition in the patterning?

Yes, I've had this happen also. I always assumed it was an interior wall butting in to the exterior that caused it. Now, maybe not.

tatlin
2003-08-13, 12:05 AM
Are you talking about the sunlight 'leaking' through where it should not be on the front facade? If so, try turning off the 'Backface Culling' checkbox in Render Settings and re-rendering. If not, could you explain the problem in more detail?

thanks,

Matt Jezyk
Autodesk Revit

JamesVan

Yes, I've had this happen also. I always assumed it was an interior wall butting in to the exterior that caused it. Now, maybe not.

beegee
2003-08-13, 12:42 AM
It didn't look like a leak. It was a straight vertical line.

I'll give your suggestion a try as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks.

JamesVan
2003-08-13, 01:58 PM
Tried it again without the culling. Same problem. Interesting thing...if you look in the front round-top window, you'll see a sliver of wall I added to address a funky interior condition. The same line appears on that wall, too.

tatlin
2003-08-13, 03:23 PM
James,

Is the siding a bitmap or a procedural texture?

Matt Jezyk
Autodesk Revit

JamesVan
2003-08-13, 04:04 PM
It is a procedural texture, from Accurender's stock catalog:

_ACCURENDER\Exterior\Siding\Beige, Horizontal, _6"

gregcashen
2003-08-13, 05:07 PM
There are two issues at work on this rendering...there is a line in the pattern and a leak through the right-hand roof right at the peak of the gable. Don't know if they are related.

sbrown
2003-08-13, 05:18 PM
This is actually a veritcle line in the accurender texture, if you look at the way these materials are create its a tile pattern with a y value of 6" and an x value of 10000' or something so you are just unlucky that the 10000 foot verticle is on your bldg. if you switc to a bmp type siding you would be fine or just give the tile pattern and offset of 5000' and that should do it.