PDA

View Full Version : Section Box Accuracy

sbrown
2008-10-02, 03:26 PM
I'm trying to prepare a model for 3d printing and I want to break it into multiple pieces. Is there some way to get the section box to align to ref. planes or otherwise control its size exactly?

Andre Carvalho
2008-10-02, 03:31 PM
Try creating a big section and then using View > Orient > to other view > select the section created.

Andre Carvalho

Andre Carvalho
2008-10-02, 03:40 PM
Also, you could create the first section box and then copy the same section box. Revit will create new 3D views and the section box size will be the same.

EDIT: Sorry Scott I was in a rush when i posted this. I'll explain it better. It won't be 100% accurate but it works great. First create your section to show the extents of what you want and later orient the section box to that view. The Spin your 3D view to show the way you want, select the section box switch you view to an elevation view (or any other convenient view), copy the clip box up or down to "split your 3D model nd Revit will create new 3D views with you clip box set the same size as before. The 3D view angle is also kept, because you copied it in elevation.

I hope it helps.

Andre Carvalho

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-10-02, 03:44 PM
That was my first thought too Andre. Depending on the number of pieces you need to break the model into the section approach will only ensure one edge is aligned.
The crop region in a plan shows you exactly how big it is. You can set the crop region to a specific size , use the orient to view option and that sets up the first section.
Since you know the size of the crop you can move it that precise distance in the 3D view to create the next piece and keep doing it until the whole model is done.

Andre Carvalho
2008-10-02, 03:49 PM
Since you know the size of the crop you can move it that precise distance in the 3D view to create the next piece and keep doing it until the whole model is done.

Or copy the section box as I mentioned above.

Andre Carvalho

atbergma
2008-10-03, 03:39 AM
Try creating a big section and then using View > Orient > to other view > select the section created.

Andre Carvalho
Yes make one by orient to view based on a section, then flip the section and make another [3d view] and orient it to the flipped section. They will be the same size and be precisely coincident on one side. This would work for 2, but maybe somehow you could expand on this idea for more pieces.