PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling Automatic Resizing Families?

thredge
2008-10-03, 02:04 PM
We were recently working on getting a good standard door family set up for our office that would be used as a basis for making all of our other doors. As I was researching and testing many different things out on the door, I ran into a problem when we got to the schedule. Most everything schedules great and the way we want it. The only problem I have is that the doors are designed to have their frames auto resize to the depth of the wall. I did this by locking the frame to the faces of the wall inside the family. The problem is that I can’t get that depth information output from the family to the schedule in the project as far as I can see. I mean parameters are meant to go one way, you assign a value, and the model reflects the value, so I can’t just assign that parameter to the frame, it wouldn’t resize based on the wall thickness then. Doesn’t seem to be a way to have a parameter get information from the model.

The thing that confused me is that I did some inquiry and a lot of people believe it can’t be done. I talked to a Revit teaching center support person though, that said flat out that it can be done. He then proceeded to tell me their hourly rate for working on support questions. So I’m a little concerned I was just getting the sales pitch.

Does anyone know of a way to report the wall thickness to use in a parameter formula or something that would allow me to automatically schedule these frame depths? Otherwise to keep things parametric, we are considering inserting doors with manually sized frames, which will slow things down a bit working on the model, but keep it all linked.

Thanks.

cdetore
2008-10-03, 02:58 PM
There was a recent post on this topic;

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=64260

I think the short of it is that although that information is visible via the API there is no out-of-the-box way to capture it. I hope this gets changed, could be really helpful.

CD

twiceroadsfool
2008-10-03, 03:36 PM
The thing that confused me is that I did some inquiry and a lot of people believe it can’t be done. I talked to a Revit teaching center support person though, that said flat out that it can be done. He then proceeded to tell me their hourly rate for working on support questions. So I’m a little concerned I was just getting the sales pitch.
Thanks.

LOL, tell him to figure it out, and then give you a total for the hours, and youll pay him before he turns the solution over to you. :lol:

IE: Currently you cant do it in the native progrma itself...

thredge
2008-10-03, 04:45 PM
LOL, tell him to figure it out, and then give you a total for the hours, and youll pay him before he turns the solution over to you. :lol:

IE: Currently you cant do it in the native progrma itself...

I was thinking more along the lines of, getting a signed agreement that says, OK, we will work with you on this, but if you just yank us arround and don't come up with an way to do it then we aren't paying you for wasting our time.

He was pretty sure of himself, but I think he thought he could sit down and work through it. The company he works for has also written several plug in applications for Revit, so maybe it would utilize one of those.

twiceroadsfool
2008-10-03, 08:54 PM
Well its possible with the API, i believe... So maybe if theyre going to write a secondary application or script to get the info from the doors, and plop it in the schedule, then maybe they can do it.

But even API functions have to be "run" so to speak... Im certain you cant get it to schedule natively, which is why id entertain myself with him for awhile...