PDA

View Full Version : Free REVIT Family Creation Video Series

cadclips
2008-10-04, 05:02 PM
Hello AUGI members,

I have always enjoyed using www.AUGI.com and reading the AUGI World magazine and thought I would share my latest free video tutorial series with the AUGI members.

I just put together a sweet REVIT Training Video series that I'm sure most of you will find of value.

This is great for all levels of REVIT users who want to learn some cool things about making families.

In the videos I create an architectural beam (using the linear model template) with some abutments (for lack of better word).

The lessons learned over the course of these 7 videos should get the wheels turning and can then be can used to further you own REVIT family creation ideas.
This is a well organized, step by step process that will (hopefully) get you on the right track in making your own exciting new REVIT families.

I have attached the completed beam rfa file and a rendered image.

Here's what you will learn about:

- The linear model family and associated template
- View Range
- Parameters and parameter types
- Reference Planes
- Dimensions to parameters
- Solid extrusions
- Sketching
- Work Planes
- Aligning, locking and constraining the solid geometry
- Flexing the model in the family editor and in the project
- Using the very cool Yes / No parameter to control individual family geometry visibility
- Integrating Model Lines with your solid geometry
- Using the Linework tool to get sneaky and fine tune the family within the project
- Mental Ray Materials
- Rendering
- Adjusting the rendered image
- Saving and exporting the Rendered image
. . . . lots more, but let's get at it . . . .

Click the link to play the video or right click and 'save target as . .' to download.

Enjoy !

Lesson 1: The Completed Beam Family Introduction
www.cadclips.com/downloads/RAC-ARCH-BM-FAMILY-1-BEAM-FAMILY-INTRO.wmv

Lesson 2: Parameters and Reference Planes
www.cadclips.com/downloads/RAC-ARCH-BM-FAMILY-2-PARAMETERS-AND-REFERENCE-PLANES.wmv

Lesson 3: Modeling the Main Beam and Flex
www.cadclips.com/downloads/RAC-ARCH-BM-FAMILY-3-MODEL-THE-MAIN-BEAM-AND-FLEX.wmv

Lesson 4: Modeling the Abutments and Flex
www.cadclips.com/downloads/RAC-ARCH-BM-FAMILY-4-MODEL-THE-ABUTMENTS-AND-FLEX.wmv

Lesson 5: Using Yes / No Parameters to Control Object Visibility
www.cadclips.com/downloads/RAC-ARCH-BM-FAMILY-5-YES-NO-PARAMETERS-TO-CONTROL-VISIBILITY.wmv

Lesson 6: Use Model Lines and the Linework Tools
www.cadclips.com/downloads/RAC-ARCH-BM-FAMILY-6-MODEL-LINES-AND-LINEWORK-TOOL.wmv

Lesson 7: Mental Ray Materials and Rendering
www.cadclips.com/downloads/RAC-ARCH-BM-FAMILY-7-MATERIALS-AND-RENDERING.wmv

tc3dcad60731
2008-10-04, 09:11 PM
Thanks.....downloading now and will watch later.... let you know what I thinkg :-)

BigBadBIM
2008-10-07, 06:08 PM
Great as usual Daryl.

One thing though... the "typewriter" sound effect is a little distracting (IMO) I figure you would want to know.

still.james
2008-10-07, 08:18 PM
thanks for this! i will download and watch shortly :)

cadclips
2008-10-07, 10:47 PM
Yes Erik I will agree with you on the type writer (machine gun). I will dissable on from here on in.

snurresprett9
2008-10-23, 05:02 PM
Hello AUGI members,

Lesson 6: Use Model Lines and the Linework Tools
www.cadclips.com/downloads/RAC-ARCH-BM-FAMILY-6-MODEL-LINES-AND-LINEWORK-TOOL.wmv

I dont think you fully understand neither the linework-tool or join geometry. Look for the blue dots when you use the linework-tool. There shouldnt be necessary to use any model lines in the family.

Kenny Gee
2008-10-24, 01:38 AM
Yes Erik I will agree with you on the type writer (machine gun). I will dissable on from here on in.

I agree, gets abit annoying.....

Great clips - very basic. I wish I had access to these clips when i first cracked opened Revit box.....

zanzibarbob7
2008-10-24, 01:48 PM
Daryl,

As I have said before, these are a great help at any level. There are often mistakes made but they are extra helpful because we all go down the wrong road and it's nice to see the way back. Good work.

cadclips
2008-10-24, 02:30 PM
I dissagree. Combining the yes / no parameter with visibility and join geometry in a family is the lesson. They do not work like you would expect. Once objects have been joined in a family they are treated as 'one ojbect' as far as the yes / no parameter and visibility goes. This is the challenge. You cannot join geometry in a family if you plan on turning off one of the parts.

I agree that my understanding of the linework tools may be lacking. I seldom use them and need more practice.

However the model lines where necessary because once you join geometry between two objects in a family (to clean up the seam lines) and then turn off the visibility (yes / no) parameter of one of the objects, when in project mode, it turns off all objects that are joined to the object being turned off. Therefore you cannot use the join geometry in this case in the family. That's the point. Try it out. So then I used model lines as a work around. Perhaps you can suggest a different method?

Perhaps you know something I don't know?

Q. Can you turn off the visibility of (yes / no parameter) part of a family that has joined (or cut) geometry and leave the other joined (or cut) objects visible? Doesn't work for me. This is a very valuable lesson and a big part of why I did this video series.

So when you conceit that you cannot use the join geometry to get rid of the seam lines you just use the invisible linework tool in the project to clean up the seem lines BUT you cannot turn off part of an objects edge with the invisible linework tool you must turn off the entire edge. And this is where the model lines come into play.

Thank you for the 'great clips' comments, much appreciated, but I just have to say something about the 'very basic' comment. To fully understand the concept I am trying to convey here is most definately not basic.

ws
2008-10-25, 12:04 PM
re. the linework tool I assume snurresprett9 was alluding to being able to sometimes drag the blue dots at each end to limit the effect of the invisible line applied with the linework tool, but I don't think that would work here (well, I couldn't do it but I'm no Revit expert ;)).

Anyway, whatever, I never tire of watching DG's cadclips, free or on subscription, they are a wonderful resource. 8) :beer:

d11sunshine
2008-11-20, 07:48 PM
How about an annotative family creation video??? :)
I want to make a weld symbol with a leader and don't even know how to start. :S

d11sunshine
2008-11-20, 07:49 PM
P.S. LOVE your video series!!!!

gwnelson
2008-11-20, 08:32 PM
Weld Symbol = New Annotation Family.

Just a hint...

d11sunshine
2008-11-21, 10:37 PM
If that hint was for me I'm going to need to buy a vowel and spin the wheel again.
Try as I might I can not figure out how to add a leader/arrowhead to the weld symbol family. I've attached what I created in AutoCAD and it's what I NEED in Revit. If the leader isn't in the weld symbol family then how do we get the leader and weld symbol to play nice together in the drafting view? Neither have grips and the leader requires text. What are other structural drafters/engineers doing?
Help ... ?

3dway
2008-11-25, 05:49 PM
I appreciate the video. I was able to glean some information about using parameters in families and it lead me to a question about the shared parameters file.

If I ffwd or rwd I loose the sound. Is this built in to protect your advertiser's interests or is a problem with my streaming software on this end?

If it's a protection scheme you have built into the file, is it possible to allow rewind without loosing sound? If I miss a bit, I have to go back to the start and listen all the way through again.

I see that it may be a function of my software here. Hope it doesn't sound like an accusation. Hey, bills need to be paid. I just don't want to miss ANYTHING!

Thanks again.

dimitri
2008-12-03, 04:06 PM
I appreciate the video. I was able to glean some information about using parameters in families and it lead me to a question about the shared parameters file.

If I ffwd or rwd I loose the sound. Is this built in to protect your advertiser's interests or is a problem with my streaming software on this end?

If it's a protection scheme you have built into the file, is it possible to allow rewind without loosing sound? If I miss a bit, I have to go back to the start and listen all the way through again.

I see that it may be a function of my software here. Hope it doesn't sound like an accusation. Hey, bills need to be paid. I just don't want to miss ANYTHING!

Thanks again.
3dway, try downloading the videos by right-clicking and selecting 'Save Target As'. That's what i did and i can play them back whenever. That should solve your rwd and fwd sound issues.

Excellent video series! Helped me take a stab at creating my first family. I attempted to create a wall panel family using the Generic Line Model template. Ran into a couple problems, but i think i can work through them.

cadclips
2008-12-04, 09:37 PM
I think REVIT Structure has a weld symbol built in. Attached is a modified version of that symbol family found here at AUGI. The nice thing about REVIT. . . .you can share content across disciplines.

I just loaded it by the 'component' tool then dragged in one of each type from the project browser to the editing window (plan, section, drafting, elevation). Then select one of the instances and click the 'add a leader' 'remove a leader' button(s) on the options bar. There are instance and type parameters to set including the 'leader arrowhead' type.

You can also use the grips to drag the weld symbol and / or leader line from side to side.

It is an annotation symbol so it is 'view scale' specific in it's size.

samir.adwan
2008-12-10, 04:11 PM
great vids.... really helpful......if u have any powerpoint presentations explaining the family creation, please post them......

keep it up

iankids
2008-12-14, 04:06 AM
I concur with all the others here. I have been a full member with CadClips since I first loaded Revit onto my machine.

The knowledge gained from Daryl's clips together with the incredibly helpful ppl here, pushed me very quickly past the "I can't do this stuff" point to the "I will pay anyone, almost any amount of money to do the old stuff on AutoCad"

Thanks Daryl

Ian Kidston

cadclips
2008-12-16, 05:09 PM
Thanks Ian.

I personally think the best way to learn any software is by video. I still have my 1400 page 'Inside AutoCAD R12' book. That book took a serious beating for many years. I am sure there were places where there wasn't even so much as an image for 6-10 pages of pure text. That was tough learning. Trying to interpret the pages of text to my screen all while debugging certain video and tablet driver problems of course. There was many a late night.

Learning CAD and the detailed specifics and potential conditions using written words and images is just not possible to the same degree as using video. Video capture also provides a venue to show mistakes which we all do, all the time. Books rarely explain what to do if you make a mistake or go down the wrong path.

Glad to hear my videos are of good value. I am currently finishing the latest REVIT 2009 Fundamental series and then on to other exciting stuff. I also have several more 'custom family' videos lined up. If you want to request a video or series you can do so via the 'contact us' page at the web site below.

cadclips
2008-12-27, 03:43 PM
Hello,

www.DGCAD.com and www.CADclips.com are one and the same.

cadclips
2008-12-30, 08:52 PM
We should probably take this conversation off this discussion group.

www.CADclips.com and www.DGCAD.com are exactly the same web site.

All the videos that are offered here at AUGI by myself are also offered at www.CADclips.com. That should answer your question.

Are they all 100% identical ? > Yes, they should be.

Is this a trick question?