PDA

View Full Version : Export Questions for 3D...

hand471037
2003-08-11, 05:55 PM
OK, so could someone please explain the layer exports in regards to 3D? I totally understand how they work for 2D, and that's well layed out in the documentation/help files. But when I export to a 3D model, things wind up on layers like '3D-Wall' and *not* the user defined layers I have set up. What controls the names of 3D exports? The projection settings? the cut settings? In the Revit-to-Viz docutment, they use the layer color, and not the name; so when importing to Viz the item color maps to the choosen Viz layer. This isn't an option for what I'm trying to do. I need for the materials in my Revit model to drive what layer those object's export too when a 3D model is exported. Is this even possible? I'm tired of wasting time exporting to a DXF only to have to open it in AutoCAD and re-set things to the proper layers so that I can then bring it into the 3D rendering software and quickly map the materials via layer.

aaronrumple
2003-08-11, 06:00 PM
I like to export models in sections. Instead of exporting the whole thing at once, I'll export walls as one file and fdoors as another file, etc.

I do this so I can take advantage of the Viz xref feature. Each file is smaller and therefore I can move around faster. It also makes applying materials simpler to each group of objects...

hand471037
2003-08-11, 06:05 PM
How would you then address a model where you have two different wall finishes? For example, if I have walls in my model that are brick, and walls that are not brick, and I want to export each to a different layer, how do you address that?

Phil Palmer
2003-08-12, 08:24 AM
Jeff,

The best way we have found to get the geommetry into Viz is to enable worksets and then selectively export visible worksets.
For example place all Plaster walls on 1 workset and all Brick walls onto another - then export each one seperately.

I keep saying this but somehow REVIT needs to have sub-catagories of system families - walls/floors etc etc.
This way we can control visiblity of different types of walls which will make the export process a lot easier to manage.

At least the 3d geometry is coming across well