PDA

View Full Version : Help! How do I set up solar study sheets?

mmarsh
2008-10-06, 03:12 PM
I have been trying to set up a series of solar study sheets of the site at different times of the day and year but I can't figure out how to get the views to retain individual time/date settings. I change it on one and all the others change with it. Is there a way to set views up with individual time/date settings or do I have to change it manually and pdf each one (of 20 that we need) for each submission?
There has to be a way to do this.

Scott D Davis
2008-10-06, 03:18 PM
PDF each one? No need. Just go to File>Export>Image and you can make a PNG or JPG of the solar study, and then place that image on a sheet.

mmarsh
2008-10-06, 04:06 PM
Thanks! Is there any way to set it up so that the views are responsive to the project like any other floor plan view would be? Since we are designing a new exhibit at a zoo the solar studies are very important to the project (we are doing about 20 of them) and, while we could export and then re-import images into the sheets (which was fast - about 4 minutes per study - but that adds up) is there a faster way?
Thank you for your help!

Scott D Davis
2008-10-06, 04:22 PM
Yes, Advanced Model Graphics settings are view specific. For each time/date/place you need, make a "named" Solar Setting. For instance, in the attached image, I made 2: one for Jan 27 at 1pm, and another for July 27 at 1pm. Use the "duplicate" button in the dialog box to make other settings and name them appropriately, and then set the specific time and date for that named setting.

Then for each view, g to View Properties>Advanced Model Graphics and apply the named setting for that view. Go to the next view and do the same.

Be aware: turning shawdows on in many views at the same time will have an adverse affect on performance. You should turn on the shadows only when necessary.

mmarsh
2008-10-06, 05:02 PM
thanks! That was the bit of information I needed. Both those methods seem to work well but I think we are going to try the later one first.