PDA

View Full Version : Revit Series hesitation

studio3p
2004-09-29, 04:29 PM
It looks like I'm going to have to slap down some cash to upgrade my Revit subscription to Revit Series. Has anyone encountered a compelling reason not to make the switch?

J. Grouchy
2004-09-30, 01:58 PM
What is "Revit Series" vs. just "Revit"?

SkiSouth
2004-09-30, 02:08 PM
You get Acad 2005 with the "series". I just changed my ADT 2005 from that to a "series" subscription.

TroyGates
2004-09-30, 02:58 PM
We are also using the Revit Series. We upgraded all of our licenses of AutoCad to the Revit Series so that we can start moving to Revit when we are ready.

Steve_Stafford
2004-09-30, 03:07 PM
...Has anyone encountered a compelling reason not to make the switch?...
Sole practitioner yes? Then it's a good deal and no reason not to. It's a good deal for anyone who wants acad too really.

My only concern has been if you are using network licensing just make sure it won't limit your deployment negatively. In the past you couldn't install a Revit Series version of Revit alongside a "vanilla" Revit on a PC (I don't know if this has been changed). Which could make it difficult to figure out where the Series seat(s) should go. Not impossible to work out but more difficult. The way to go for a network environment might best be "all series" or "all not", to keep it "simple".

studio3p
2004-09-30, 08:01 PM
Steve -

I do have a small office and currently the network licensing isn't an issue. My only real hesitation is that I don't want to do anything (even in a very small way) to convey the message to Autodesk that I want development money diverted from Revit to AutoCAD. Other concerns I had related to whether dropping the Revit Series subscription would leave me with additional cost to "go back" to Revit as a standalone.

Steve_Stafford
2004-09-30, 09:01 PM
...don't want to do anything (even in a very small way) to convey the message to Autodesk that I want development money diverted from Revit to AutoCAD...Think of Revit Series as a "vehicle" to put Revit in AutoCAD users hands for a very reasonable price. Revit Series gives AutoCAD shops a way to evaluate Revit while maintaining the current paradigm. The goal is to make the transition to Revit as gradual or abrupt as a firm wishes.

Revit shops don't HAVE to have AutoCAD but it does help to have around since collaboration with AutoCAD based work will continue for some time to come.

One other caution...if you upgrade to each build and version of Revit as soon as it can be downloaded from the web...the Series may see a slight delay in availability since it is "tied" to AutoCAD from a licensing standpoint. The software is identical except for licensing subtlties. I don't recall this actually being an issue except perhaps for those outside the US market? Might want to ask your reseller before committing?

BillyGrey
2004-10-01, 04:53 PM
I live on the flip side of this coin...

As a one man shop, I do not need Acad at all, and I import/export seamlessly within Revit, with all of my out-sources.

Like Steve said, though, in the event I was considering hiring additional help, I would consider the series as a transitional vehicle to keep him/her productive until a 100% switch could be made. That would be my only reason for an upgrade.

:)

Steve_Stafford
2004-10-01, 05:58 PM
As a one man shop, I do not need Acad at all, and I import/export seamlessly within Revit, with all of my out-sources.
Until that civil file won't import or something is so large you'd love to strip it down or fix something natively in Acad using purge/recover/audit etc. Or to make sure your exported data is organized as you might be required to by a project. These are the primary reasons to have it available when you only use Revit.