PDA

View Full Version : Linked Model View Problems

Jan.Christel
2008-10-08, 10:18 PM
Hi!

I am just starting out with Revit 2008 and have problems with linking models:
I am able to link floor plan views from the link file into the host file without any problems but are unable to do the same with sections and elevations. After some research on this forum it turns out that this functionality is not supported by Revit (yet).
So I am wondering how to do the sheet setup / linking. I planned to do all the sheets in the host file but since I can't tag any sections/ elevations coming in from the link files this will not work properly. Is the only way to use dummy sheets in the host file but set up the real sheets in the link file (double the work??)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers!

Jan

davidcobi
2008-10-08, 10:45 PM
Revit 2009 supports linking elevations, sections, and 3d views. You can setup sister views... one in the linked project that has everything tagged and the lineweights the way you want them... the other view in the host file with the by linked view option checked in VG. Then you can just add your referenced annotations to the host model. Hope that helps.

You shouldn't need dummy sheets, just the sheets in the host file.

twiceroadsfool
2008-10-08, 11:28 PM
What David said. You either need to upgrade to 2009, or dummy sheet the references in 2008...

mcervantes
2008-10-17, 07:15 PM
Great tip. thanks, We are running in to the same exact issue on or project. We have created a Master file with several building models linked in. Our team is documenting and creating views in the original models, and i am currently setting up "twin" views in the master model that essentially use the linked view settings. So far this seems to be working pretty well, but question I have pertains to the sheets.

Sounds like we need to maintain a master list in the master project file and NOT use the sheets in the original model? If so, is there a way to import any sheets that we have already set up with views from the original model to the master to avoid re-work? The "Copy to Clipboard" only seems to work on sheets without views already set up.

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Michael Cervantes
Steinberg Architects

twiceroadsfool
2008-10-17, 07:22 PM
The sheets go in the MAIN file. Basically, put all of your sheets in one file. You can save the sheets to file, but then it brings a bunch of modeled stuff with it. It wont save you any time.

Just delete the sheets from the linked models, and put all the sheets in your Main or Documentation model.

I go one step further and delete all the titleblock families from the linked models, so no one makes a mistake and sets up a sheet in there, lol...