PDA

View Full Version : Linked views

steedlei
2008-10-09, 10:48 PM
Is there any way to use views from other revit file in the current working revit file, like inserting into sheet?
The purpose of this question is that I would like to do some 3D details in seperate revit file and incorporate the views into current project file.
many thanks!

ededios
2008-10-10, 12:38 AM
I hope I'm not steering you wrong, but this is what I've done. Oh and yes you can!

Once you have the file linked, create a view or open a view where you want the linked detail view to be shown. In my case I had a floor plan and exterior elevations. So I duplicated a floor plan view, and just added elevation call outs
In the duplicated view, go to the Visibility Graphics dialog. The rest of my explanation is in the attached image, but here goes. - Go to the Revit Links tab, select your file and select Custom under the Display Settings column, check/chose the radio button By Linked View, that will make the Linked View option available, and chose the view. In my case only Floor Plans are available because I'm in a floor plan view.

I hope that helps, and I hope I'm right!

Good Luck.

Jan.Christel
2008-10-10, 01:51 AM
This works fine for floor plans but I tried this with Elevations/ sections and it does not work (Revit 2008 )

Is this capability to link sections and elevations a 2009 feature??

Cheers!

mruehr
2008-10-10, 02:01 AM
Yes it is since 2009

Jan.Christel
2008-10-10, 02:04 AM
ok ok looks like I need to get an update! Cheers!

steedlei
2008-10-10, 02:07 AM
yes, just run a quick test 2 mins ago, 3D linked view only work in 2009.
Thanks for all.

steedlei
2008-10-10, 02:12 AM
I wonder if I can only link or import selected views from linked rvt rather than the whole model into host rvt. Otherwise I have to use VG to close all linked rvt in all views of host rvt except the views assocated with linked views, making a simple task very tedious.

chodosh
2008-10-10, 04:30 AM
Inherently, no, but the idea of a portal is a nice one, so maybe instead of "no," it's "not yet"... complicated wish to write up, but I would suggest hitting the wish list, it can't hurt. I could see this interaction as being something similar to Specifying Worksets when you initially link another RVT... link to a partition of another file instead of the whole thing, and do so via the "viewport." Pushing the limits here a little, but the concept is intriguing...

-LC