PDA

View Full Version : Eccentric Timberframe

danr.196492
2008-10-09, 11:56 PM
Beginner Revit user is having trouble drawing an eccentric timberframe roof for a low-sloped residential project. I have the walls, floors, and roofs modelled, but I can't seem to figure out how to insert mass objects, or structural beams for that matter, in the configuration I'm designing. I've tried setting up a reference or work plane but can't even make headway with this approach. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

jsteinhauer
2008-10-10, 07:31 AM
Beginner Revit user is having trouble drawing an eccentric timberframe roof for a low-sloped residential project. I have the walls, floors, and roofs modelled, but I can't seem to figure out how to insert mass objects, or structural beams for that matter, in the configuration I'm designing. I've tried setting up a reference or work plane but can't even make headway with this approach. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried using structural members made of wood to frame the roof? If the structural menu is not showing on the side tool bar, right click over top of it and check structural. This will allow you to load in structural components and place them into your project.

In elevation view, draw a reference plane at the angle you need your members to attach to.
load & place the members into your model.
Once in the model you can re-host the members to the correct plane by 'Pick a plane'.

I hope this helps,

Jeff S.

danr.196492
2008-10-14, 08:36 PM
Thanks Jeff,
Have placed structural members but they don't seem to be showing up in elevation or section. I see a line (which would denote a structural system) but is there any way to turn on or change visibility settings? Thanks again.

MNsnowtaTy
2008-10-14, 08:45 PM
Have you changed your Detail Level to show a little bit more detail?

PaulB
2008-10-14, 09:02 PM
You may need to change the view detail level setting to medium or fine or edit the families to show the beam, etc. rather than just the stick symbol.

danr.196492
2008-10-14, 09:16 PM
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks guys.