PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk's New Revit Logo

narlee
2004-09-29, 08:12 PM
Just got a webcast offer showing a Revit Logo that is not the familiar spiral stair. I checked the Revit product webpage at Autodesk and it has the same image, but I don't think you can be made in Revit?? It is a sea shell, first shown in wireframe then rendered, that is constructed with a helix or nautilus shape with an ever-expanding circumference. Anyone know how to do this in Revit? Or is this going to be in Revit 7.0? How exciting that would be.

Wes Macaulay
2004-09-29, 08:17 PM
Wow, Narlee, I looked at the graphic and just blew it off as marketing fluff. If that image WAS made in Revit 7.0 -- and given the fact that they are more than implying you CAN do something like this in Revit -- then we're looking at a very significant leap forward in Revit's modelling capabilities.

Let's not forget that even now, Revit outstrips AutoCAD thoroughly in what it can model.

Wes Macaulay
2004-09-29, 08:20 PM
Actually, you could model that now as a series of blends, but it would be a lot of work!

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-09-29, 08:24 PM
Never mind the modelling... how the heck do you do the formwork for the concrete? :eek:

narlee
2004-09-29, 08:42 PM
Well, Carl & Sidney. As you say: The difficult I'll do right now. The impossible will take a little while.

Wes Macaulay
2004-09-29, 08:51 PM
Don't they use spraycrete (or whatever it's called) for this sort of thing? Some really creative dude with strong wrists bends wire mesh into shape and then blow on the concrete?

That's gotta be fun to build like that...

J. Grouchy
2004-09-29, 09:08 PM
I've heard it called Shot-crete...but I don't know if that's a generic name or like "Band-Aid" (a brand name hijacked for general use).

narlee
2004-09-29, 09:30 PM
see www.shotcrete.com

Tom Weir
2004-09-29, 09:44 PM
Shotcrete is a process where the concrete is mixed at the end of the nozzle.
Gunite is a process where the mixed concrete comes through the hose. Shotcrete is the most common practice these days.

So I would say that shotcrete is a generic name...

Tom Weir
Los Angeles

barathd
2004-09-29, 10:11 PM
Dimitri:

You hit the nail on the head - how would you do the formwork - you wouldn't. This is one of my greatest fears. Revit's modeling capabilities could facilitate the design of all sorts of silliness.

Furthermore what happens when Revit can make sweeping changes architecturally and there are no similar tools structurally. Give it some thought. One has labored laboriously to prepare structural details and all of a sudden here comes some whimsical architecture fluff - could be as simple as parametrically changing roof slopes. A snap decision could lead to days if not weeks of redrawing details. If this happens everyone concerned will look like fools.

Regards

Dick Barath

narlee
2004-09-29, 10:19 PM
...still, I want my seashell. Metanoia. How in the world do you do it with blends?

Geof Narlee
(on the east coast)

Andre Baros
2004-09-29, 10:30 PM
looks like a little race to me... let's see some Revit seashells folks.

beegee
2004-09-29, 10:33 PM
Just so we're all on the same page ....

and not to let the opportunity for a math joke go by....

Fibonacci is a shortened form of the Italian name that is actually spelled: F i bb ooo nnnnn aaaaaaaa ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.

Wes Macaulay
2004-09-29, 10:41 PM
...still, I want my seashell. Metanoia. How in the world do you do it with blends?

Geof Narlee
(on the east coast)
The path for the blends would be in plan, and look like a segmented donut. It wouldn't be as smooth as the image narlee's talking about, tho.

narlee
2004-09-29, 10:58 PM
Fair enough. Barathd; rush this information down to Acme Forms ASAP and tell them to stop complaining about architects!

narlee
2004-09-29, 11:18 PM
But, I agree with Metanoia. The pitch is "Dream it. Do it. Autodesk Revit" with those wireframe and rendered images. That's a clear statement. And that wire frame wasn't done with Metanoia's workaround. So Autodesk's got to put up or...yes?

Regarding Barathd's concern, I completely understand, but would be very pleased if such functionality were imminent. It's handy for non-architectural objects, but more importantly, would really put Revit on the map for cool possibilities. And it would be FUN.

Geof Narlee

ita
2004-09-29, 11:25 PM
That is not a good one beegee!!! :lol: :lol:

narlee
2004-09-29, 11:36 PM
BTW, Metanoia. That's a pretty darn clever solution.

Geof Narlee

hugh.69031
2004-09-29, 11:46 PM
Fibonacci helps with the math. Pier Nervi invented and developed the ferro-cement construction techniques alluded to in earlier posts. Here's one local example of a building he was involved in (I enjoyed working within it some time ago):

http://www.italydownunder.com.au/issueeleven/architctr.html

Is this tower a hint that there may be more than one programming language or API in the new version of Revit? I certainly hope so.

cheers,
Hugh Adamson
www.cadro.com.au (http://www.cadro.com.au/)

beegee
2004-09-30, 12:39 AM
.This is one of my greatest fears. Revit's modeling capabilities could facilitate the design of all sorts of silliness.

Furthermore what happens when Revit can make sweeping changes architecturally and there are no similar tools structurally. Give it some thought. One has labored laboriously to prepare structural details and all of a sudden here comes some whimsical architecture fluff -
Maybe consultants working with Gehry, Hadid, Pei, Piano, Calatrava etc run into this sort of problem regularily ?

beegee
2004-09-30, 01:10 AM
That is not a good one beegee!!! :lol: :lol:
Well Ian,
... I always say , there are only 10 kinds of people in the world - - those that understand binary arithmetic and those that don't.

Scott D Davis
2004-09-30, 01:49 AM
My understanding is that modeling capabilities were high on the development list for 7.0....so will we be able to do forms like the one shown? I have a feeling there is a little forshadowing going on in the current marketing......

barathd
2004-09-30, 02:54 AM
Here's my take how the sea shell was drawn. Rather simple - probably a new Sketchup like tool. I believe a helix coil was drawn in plan and then probably stretched in the "z" direction in a similar manner to Sketchup while applying a simple blend.

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-09-30, 03:33 AM
This is one of my greatest fears. Revit's modeling capabilities could facilitate the design of all sorts of silliness.
Dick,
Don't fear the change or opportunity for innovation. ;) A pencil and a roll of trace are all soeme people require to generate silliness. It just takes longer to do the working drawings.
I think the real trick is being able to create complex geometry from simple forms. If you look at Ghery's 'form' buildings (Bilbao, Experience Music Project etc.) the cladding is a nightmare of compound curves but the underlying structure is composed of primarily straight pieces of steel. My guess is if you look at the superstructure for the Statue of Liberty there are not a whole pile of curves there either!
Some people in BC are doing amazing work using engineered wood products which use straight members and sheet materials to warp surfaces to form organic shapes. A lot of the free from stuff is not my cup of tea (blobs do not a building make) but having the ability to model this type of form while, at the same time, being able to document it in a detailed and fluid manner is really exciting to me.
As for structure not matching architecture... parametric structure modeled in Revit (or with the new structural tools available in R7 :shock: ) linked to the roof form. In principal, a piece of cake!
Can hardly wait for the 'what's new in R7' session at AU.

roy.70844
2004-09-30, 09:06 AM
Well Ian,
... I always say , there are only 10 kinds of people in the world - - those that understand binary arithmetic and those that don't.

Hey I'm sure I've heard that before I think it was Frank Oquendo's signature line over in the VBA group!!!

However I would love to see some more complex modeling functions in Revit even if it was just something like sweep along a path that has more than one workplane (good for ducting?) like a VIZ/MAX lofting tool. While we can't all be Frank Gehry (saw a great program about his work on Sky last week) if we could loft we could make all those nice tensioned fabric structures that seem to be 'de rigeur'. Anyway I thought it was the responsibility of the Architect to challenge the structural guys! (lol)

Looking forward to Ver7.

Roy.

hand471037
2004-09-30, 05:23 PM
You could do this by:

1. Making a Railing Profile that's tied to a Type Catalog.
2. Making the Type Catalog have the Fibonacci series proportions required.
3. Load said family and all types into a project.
4. Make a series of curved ramps (this will become the floor) that spiral inward based upon the Fibonacci series in plan.
5. Use the Railing profile as the outside handrail.

To make the doors & Windows, you could generate some baluster families that are whole wall panels, and make the handrail family use those panels at the desired places.

The other way to do it would be to, once the Ramp is made, delete the handrail and make an in-place sweep that uses the outside edge of the ramp as it's path. If you put it in the wall category, you'd even be able to put doors & Windows into it.

It would be a lot of work and difficult math either way. All in all, this is starting to sound too much like ADT, in that you're using nothing but work-around. But that's the only way I can think of doing it, unless a proper lofting tool is included within Revit 7.

mjfarrell
2004-09-30, 05:42 PM
Dick,
Don't fear the change or opportunity for innovation. ;) My guess is if you look at the superstructure for the Statue of Liberty there are not a whole pile of curves there either!

Great attitude. Also your suspicion is true, the underlying structure of
Ms. Liberty is nearly the same as the exposed skeleton of the Eiffel Tower
as both were designed by messier Eiffel.

slb
2004-10-01, 05:47 PM
This was done in 7.0, but could have been done in 6.x (or prior)... it's a spiraling, round staircase imaged at an extreme angle with a "fish-eye" lense to give it the perspective and illusion of narrowing as it elevates... Sorry for the tiny image, this forum doesn't seem to allow for anything larger.

Scott D Davis
2004-10-01, 08:14 PM
This was done in 7.0, but ....
You're so cruel......;)