PDA

View Full Version : Liking how ref planes in families aren't visible in the project

Wes Macaulay
2004-09-29, 09:17 PM
I'm doing a lot of inplace families and one thing that's great is that ref planes added to set up the modelling of the inplace family don't appear outside of that family. Similarly, they don't appear outside of the particular solid/void you're creating while creating the inplace family.

A little thing, but it makes life simpler, and it's more of why Revit is great.

roy.70844
2004-09-30, 09:33 AM
I totally agree, however I found this by accident and thought at first that it was not so good! I was half way through an in place family when I realised that I had forgotten to place a needed reference plane but lo and behold! there was the ref plane command so I made what I wanted but when I completed the family it was GONE! So I had to make another one (big deal eh! Revit is definitely inciting lazyness in me. Revit does so much, why can't it do just this one little thing more?)

Great tool if used properly!

Roy.

J. Grouchy
2004-09-30, 01:09 PM
I particularly enjoy how these ref planes can be used to align these model objects within the project.

Wes Macaulay
2004-09-30, 03:14 PM
Obviously the developers realised that if they listed ref planes named inside the family (or even in a solid/void inside the family) outside of the family in the main project, you could end up with a very long list of planes in the plane selection dialog box. And that would, well, suck.

So this is a much better way of handling the issue.