PDA

View Full Version : Revit UI changes

dpasa
2008-10-12, 03:36 PM
I installed Revit extensions and now I have one more row of toolbars... I arrange my toolbars as I want but I can't find a way to make Revit save the UI..... Why? Is this one more thing they didn't think of?

DaveP
2008-10-12, 06:05 PM
If you can live with it for 6 months, I'm betting we're going to see the Ribbon next spring.
Pretty much all of the Autodesk products are going that way.
Whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-10-12, 06:05 PM
I assume you mean that when you turn the toolbar off it doesn't stay off next time you start Revit?

During a session you can turn the toolbars off in the usual manner by right clicking on them and unchecking them. To remove them from the menu or toolbars you can go the Extensions Manager and under the Extension and Tools menus you can remove them from the menu bar and the toolbars.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-10-12, 06:08 PM
If you can live with it for 6 months, I'm betting we're going to see the Ribbon next spring.
Pretty much all of the Autodesk products are going that way.
Whether that's a good thing or not remains to be seen.
Dave,
I think Revit might translate better to the ribbon than most of the other products. We're already pretty close to it with the design bar and tabs. I just hope they keep it vertical the way the design bar currently works. I think the icons/graphics in the standard ribbon are way too big and take up too much screen space. For most experienced users keyboard shortcuts are still the way to go but sometimes I still prefer the 'pick a picture' approach.

m.thomas
2008-10-13, 12:41 PM
For what it's worth I love Revit's general gui, although they need to improve properties windows etc so that less clicks are required to get the job done.

I hope that whatever changes they do to the gui is not user customisable to the extent of Autocad.

Autocad, cui files etc is just one major headache for me and my users. Sure you should be able to standardise the ui and lock them but people always somehow manage to mess it up or we have different sized monitors which dont see all the toolbars.

mruehr
2008-10-14, 01:35 AM
i totally agree with m.thomas
one of the good things in revit is, you can help somebody over the Phone
knowing the GUI is the same.Lets hope we don't go the Autocad customising route.
that would make me a very grumpy old man.