i have in all my rafters, hips and ridges
but i want to make all my joints clean and flush
can anyone tell me how to do this?

beegee
2004-09-30, 01:11 AM
Join Geometry ??

Cnine81
2004-09-30, 01:19 AM
thanks but when i but i tried that already and i can't select any of the rafters or hips i don't know if its because the are at the same angle of the roof!

beegee
2004-09-30, 02:55 AM
You're correct. It appears that Join geometry will not work with structural elements - sorry.

I guess this must be because the structural engineer wants to make the proper connections between the structual elements and so Revit allows for that. ... Maybe.

roy.70844
2004-09-30, 09:14 AM
Hi there,
I have had similar problems with structural steelwork. When doing loft conversions the end of my steel beam projects into and sometimes through the roof structure. In the real world we chop(grind) the end off the steel to suit the roof line. I would like to do this with the Revit structural elements ( I know if I use a solid either extruded or swept as an in place family I can do it with voids) If we could use voids to clean up the ends of our structural components that would be great!

Perhaps it is in ver7. If not, how about 8???

Roy

SkiSouth
2004-09-30, 01:27 PM
I assume you need the framing plan as part of your documentation. A way would be to change your roof to a glazed system, then your "mullions" would be your framing members. Make a 2x6 or 2x8 (US) etc. Then frame the system. You can get into conflicts in the mitering of the the framing but for the most part it will clean up. You will need to provide a "null" or "empty" glazing panel for the glass.
Also copy the roof you have made first, offset it by the sheathing distance and let this roof actually be the roof sheathing and weather resistant material you see from the street. The "glazed" roof is under this roofing system as the framing. Attached is a simple example....
You can also check out this thread:http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=7039

dg
2004-09-30, 05:18 PM
Hi there,
.... In the real world we chop(grind) the end off the steel to suit the roof line. ....
Roy

Tut, tut.

Is this done before or after the BCO has checked the roof?
lol