PDA

View Full Version : Rotating families

awascher
2008-10-13, 03:53 AM
I've created an unhosted air terminal family. However, when I place it in a project, it won't let me rotate it in the vertical plane. It errors out if I try to rotate in section and says "Can't rotate element in this direction."

How do I get this air terminal to rotate to place on a vertical face? I tried it with "Always vertical" both checked and unchecked. I tried checking work-plane based, but that didn't give me any options to place in section either.

I'd rather not have to remake this as a wall based as I need it to work for more than just that condition. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Andre Carvalho
2008-10-13, 02:30 PM
Try not checking "Always vertical" and checking "Work Plane Based". Then when inserting it into your project, note that at the options bar you will see two icons: One is a cube showing a green face (which means place by face) and another showing the work plane grid (which means place by work plane). If you select the place by picking face, and switch to a 3D view you will see that the face you are hovering will highlight and your family will rotate to be hosted by that face.

Andre Carvalho

ran.154477
2008-11-04, 02:37 PM
Thanks Andre. Your answer solves a frustrating problem for me. What is still frustrating, is the question: Why do they ship floor drain families that default to "Place on vertical Face"?