PDA

View Full Version : Levels: relative and shared

mmiles
2008-10-13, 06:24 PM
Hi all,

I have a project where a house is nestled into a hillside, with a walk-out condition on two sides of the house. One side is the front of the house and you walk into the house at what we call the 1st floor. The opposite side faces a lake, is located at the toe of a hill, and you walk out at a level we call the lower level. We have set the projet elevation to match the geodetic information (relative to sea level; 839.00 Ft). And, we have opted to show our levels using a the project base elevation of 0'-0" for the 1st floor. This leaves levels below the 1st floor reporting a negative distance. what we would like to do in our interior elevations is show level lines (as we have several levels to indicate ceiling heights), but we would prefer the base elevation of 0'-0" be used for each level - that way the dimension of the ceiling heights would be reported in lieu of some other number that relates to the 1st floor (e.g. 22'-0" at 2nd floor ceiling instead of 9'-6" AFF). Other than using dimension strings, or spot elevations is there a way to acheive this? Would showing each finished floor level in interior elevations at 0-0 be too confusing? Should I just spend the extra time pulling the dimensions and spot elevations?

thanks for the input.

patricks
2008-10-13, 06:34 PM
I believe spot elevations can be set to display an elevation relative to the current view's work plane. Ceilings by default report the height above the level they are located on. Ceilings should always report 8 feet, 9 feet, etc. above the floor, no matter what the level is.