PDA

View Full Version : Curtain panel cutting bearing wall

Munkholm
2008-10-14, 06:41 AM
Good morning

Been searching the forums, but did not find anything on this issue.

I´m trying to force a curtain panel to cut an opening in the bearing wall behind it... anyone knows a BIM way to do this ? I know that placing an opening or window in the concrete wall would do it, but if/when the curtain panel changes in size, or changes location, I´ll need to manually update the openings/windows... (Which I´ll probably forget :-) )
I´ve tried adding a void form to the panel family, but that doesn’t seem to affect anything...

Scott Womack
2008-10-14, 10:40 AM
Good morning

Been searching the forums, but did not find anything on this issue.

I´m trying to force a curtain panel to cut an opening in the bearing wall behind it... anyone knows a BIM way to do this ? I know that placing an opening or window in the concrete wall would do it, but if/when the curtain panel changes in size, or changes location, I´ll need to manually update the openings/windows... (Which I´ll probably forget :-) )
I´ve tried adding a void form to the panel family, but that doesn’t seem to affect anything...

Try using the Join Geometry tool selecting the Curtainwall, and then the Bearing Wall. How was the opening in the Curtainwall created? Depending upon how you created this it may, or may not work correctly.

Munkholm
2008-10-14, 01:10 PM
Thanks Scott.

The opening on the curtain wall is actually a panel like the rest, just with another material (glass) asigned to it. The small joint between the panels, is part of the panel family, and the mullions is from the curtain wall family itself.
When trying to Join the curtain wall to the concrete wall, I get an error from revit (see attachment)
I´m thinking that I need to do something to my panel family - ulimatly I´d be wanting to add a casing, going from the panel to the interiorside of the concrete... any ideas ? Tanks.

Scott Womack
2008-10-14, 03:09 PM
Thanks Scott.

The opening on the curtain wall is actually a panel like the rest, just with another material (glass) asigned to it. The small joint between the panels, is part of the panel family, and the mullions is from the curtain wall family itself.
When trying to Join the curtain wall to the concrete wall, I get an error from revit (see attachment)
I´m thinking that I need to do something to my panel family - ultimatly I´d be wanting to add a casing, going from the panel to the interior side of the concrete... any ideas ? Tanks.

With the "opening" being a blank panel, Revit does not believe there is an actual opening. Therefore, the only way I can think of is to do an in-place wall family, that is a void, that cuts both the curtainwall, and the bearing wall. You'll have to use the cut geometry tool to make the void cut both the curtainwall and the wall.

chris.macko125036
2008-10-14, 05:30 PM
I don't believe there is any way to have the panel itself cut another wall. have you tried using the wall opening tool or editing the wall profile and locking the sketch lines to the curtain grids? that way if your curtain wall gridlines move the opening will follow it.

mthurnauer
2008-10-14, 05:46 PM
you are going to need to put an opening in the concrete wall, but if you align and lock the edges of the opening with the edges of the panel, then at least the opening should move with the glazed section of the curtainwall