PDA

View Full Version : Associated Level

jermcmartin166066
2008-10-14, 08:50 PM
Hi,

Has anyone out there had any success trying to change an "Associated Level" parameter? Is this a parameter that can be changed?

I have copied some floor callout views from a lower level up to multiple levels above, and what is happening is that the floor plan callout views are associating themselves to the floor plan from which they were copied from, NOT the plan they are being copied INTO.

The problem is that when I want to use the underlay of the floor below, I am limited to using the floor plan of the associated level, and not the level below.

I have tried to change my work plane to see if that would re-associate the view to the where I want it, but have had no luck.

Any help greatly appriciated.

Mike Sealander
2008-10-14, 09:03 PM
Are you sure you made floor plan callouts, and not detail view callouts (that happen to be plan views)? The process of making them is the same, but you have to pick which type you are creating. I just tried to copy a floor plan callout from one floor to the next, and it worked, with the new callout being associated to the level I picked (Copy...Paste Aligned...Pick levels by name...)

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-10-14, 09:09 PM
these parameters are controlled by Revit.
Can you outline the exact procedure used because i can't duplicate that behaviour.
I create a callout on level 1 and the associated level is 1. Copy/paste to level 2 and the associated level is 2.
Detail callouts don't have an associated level they have a 'parent view'

jermcmartin166066
2008-10-14, 10:29 PM
Thanks guys...

I didn't make detail view callouts, but I did double check just to make sure.

The process is sort of complicated, but here goes.

First off, we are linking two files. One file is the "Site File" where all of our views and sheets are being created. The other file is the "Tower File". The model has 20+ levels and all underground parking up to Level 2 is on the site file (the podium). The tower file has levels 2-20. The floor plate of this building is also rather large so we decided to use floor plan callouts to break up the plans and still be able to have a reference to the plans. I now know that we should have created dependant views, but here we are.

What we did was this:
1.) Created a floor plan callout in the site file and copied that to the tower file
2.) In the tower file - Copied the floor plan callout (original from the site file) on multiple levels in the tower file to maintain the same orientation and size of the view for consistency.
3.) Created a new floor plan callout within the floor plan callout that was copied.

Now when I check the view properties, it tells us that the Associated Level is Level 2, no matter what level I am on. So if I am in the copied view of the callout that was placed on level 10 (for example) it tells me the associated level is Level 2. Why would it not just tell me the associated level is where I placed the callout, regardless of whether it was copied or not?

I have run some tests, and I can see that if I create the callouts from the original view in the original file the associated level remains on the view in which the callout was created.

The problem is that now I have all these views set up that I copied which are all ready for annotation, but I can’t tag rooms etc. properly because Revit is looking to the Associated Level to collect the information I am expecting it to find. (At least this is what I gather so far)

I have tried to set a new work plane, and when I do so by default it says that the view is not associated to anything. Yet there is this “read-only” parameter that tells us what the associated level is…

Is there any way to change this, without re-creating all my views??? If re-creating the views is the answer what is the most efficient way to do so?

ijnicholas
2008-10-15, 01:04 PM
Thanks guys...
The problem is that now I have all these views set up that I copied which are all ready for annotation, but I can’t tag rooms etc.
If you have not started annotating...just dump all the callouts and create dependent views. You can start with the first floor create as many dependent views as you need and then right click on the view in the project browser to select "Apply dependent view..." to create dependent views for all the other floors.
hth