PDA

View Full Version : Keynote Text Displays as ?

ctc
2008-10-16, 01:24 PM
I am trying to use keynotes for the first time. I have modified the keynote.txt file in Excel making sure that each of the three columns were imported as text. I've saved the keynote text file to a new location in my personalized revit library on my peer-to-peer network. I've pointed revit to the new keynote.txt file location.

When I tag a detail component the keynote number appears correctly. When I look at the keynote legend, the keynote number appears correctly, but the keynote text field is blank. If I modify the keynote tag to display as text it displays a "?".

I then installed the new Web update 2.

If I use an unaltered revit project template from its installation location, and confirmed that it is pointing to the unaltered keynote text file its installation location, a tagged detail component displays both the keynote number and keynote text field (in the keynote legend also) as it should.

If I move that unaltered keynote text file to my personalized revit library location and redirect the keynote location to it, the keynote text once again displays as a "?". If I move the unaltered keynote text file back to its installation location and redirect the keynote location to it, the keynote text continues to be displayed as a "?". It seems as though once the keynote text file is moved it no longer behaves as designed.

mthurnauer
2008-10-16, 02:29 PM
When you path it to its new location, what do you have set for path type? is it Absolute, relative, of at Library Locations?

ctc
2008-10-16, 02:48 PM
When you path it to its new location, what do you have set for path type? is it Absolute, relative, of at Library Locations?

With the default keynote text file back in its installation location the same results are obtained when the path type is set to absolute, relative, or at Library locations.

ctc
2008-10-28, 12:54 PM
After 7 postings over 11 days (in addition to the Augi postings) it appears that Autodesk Product Support has come to the conclusion that RevitKeynotes_Imperial.txt is to be ignored and that "...RevitKeynotes_Imperial_2004. That is base on the latest and greatest CSI Keynotes." Autodesk Support Team.

I suggested to Autodesk Product Support that if RevitKeynotes_Imperial.txt doesn’t work as designed then Autodesk should remove it from it’s product installation.

rrothwel
2008-10-28, 04:29 PM
I agree with the Keynote frustration, I have added it to the wishlist in hopes that the Keynotes get more in line and in tune with the CSI. Good luck!

cliff collins
2008-10-28, 08:44 PM
Our default "Keynotes Imperial.txt" files is working properly--in its default location,
or when moved to our server for multiple users to have access to.

We are not using the 2004 version.

Try leaving the file in rich text format, or maybe MS Word--perhaps converting to Excel has caused a problem?

I have not had any bad experience w/ Revit keynoting--quite the contrary.

Cheers.....

ctc
2008-10-28, 09:08 PM
Our default "Keynotes Imperial.txt" files is working properly--.

Autodesk Revit Support found the same problem I did when they tried the RevitKeynotes_ Imperial.txt file. Their only solution was to use the RevitKeynotes_Imperial_2004.txt file.

Thanks.