PDA

View Full Version : Wall wrapping at inserts

ihammerhands
2004-09-30, 05:20 PM
The below comes from the help menu "layer wrapping" and also has a example picture but offer no explanation on how to achieve this. Help!

Wrapping Around Complex Inserts
Layers can wrap around complex inserts, such as windows with non-rectangular shapes.

Interior wrapping at window insert

I'm working with a interior furred CMU wall and would like the drywall to return to the insert wrapping the CMU and Stud (see example) Any suggestions other than edit cut profile?

LRaiz
2004-09-30, 05:39 PM
Start by looking at wall type properties. Press Edit.. for wall structure. Resulting dialog allows control of default layer wrapping at inserts (doors and windows). If different windows in the same wall type need to wrap differently then look at Wall closure property of windows.

HTH

sbrown
2004-09-30, 05:45 PM
open the family you are inserting and pick or create a ref.plane in the location you want the wrap to go to, then edit the properties of the ref.plane so it is defined as the wall closure. Then edit you wall structure and select it to wrap at the interior or exterior.

ihammerhands
2004-10-12, 05:10 PM
Look at the pdf closer and you'll see that the drywall is wrapping inside the opening and to the window. I can easily wrap to the outside edge of the opening but not the the inside. Please look closer at the pdf I sent and by all means send examples of what you can do.

thanks,

Millard

Michelle Gibson
2005-04-14, 07:02 PM
Did you ever get a response to this one? I am having the same trouble and end up with the interior elements all wrapping when I just want the gypsum board to wrap and but(t) into the window frame.

sbrown
2005-04-14, 07:45 PM
Works fine for me, I have my interior face of frame ref. plane in my window family set with the wall closure check box on. then the wall type set to wrap at inserts(Inside) If you want the brick to wrap check both and in your family have the ext face of frame ref plane set to wall closure.

sbrown
2005-04-14, 07:46 PM
Here is the window if you want to look at it.

dazza163968596
2005-04-15, 08:12 AM
This only indicates the plaster board returning into the window it won't be built like that. If you refer to the pdf in the first thread you have replicated the top sketch, where in the UK the wrap should be as the bottom sketch, with the plasterboard inside the opening line of the window. I've never been able to get Revit to do this so I just use the edit cut profile tool on my details.

The only way that I have found to produce the wrap so that it is inside the window opening is to create a window family using voids to create the opening instead of using an opening cut. See the attached window family that I created to illustrate a plaster return to the jambs the offset is also applied to the Head & sill but for them to look right in section you need to use the edit cut profile tool.

Michelle Gibson
2005-04-15, 11:41 AM
Thanks - your thumbnail is exactly what we are trying to do, excluding the fact that we would pull the brick or block face back 10mm from the edge of frame (rough opening). I haven't tried the edit cut profile so I don't know how it works. Does this tool allow you to cut parts of the wall materials ie. does it treat each of the wall components as an entity, kind of like exploding the wall into single elements that can be edited without affecting the others?

bowlingbrad
2005-04-15, 12:15 PM
using voids

Watch out for voids when cutting openings out of 'joined walls'. We tried this technique with a masonry exterior wall. It cut that wall just fine but, when we added a furring wall on the interior and used the join geometry tool, the window did not cut through the furring. If we used an opening object in the window family, Revit knew to cut through joined walls.

FYI

dazza163968596
2005-04-15, 12:36 PM
No the edit cut profile is just a detailing tool that allows you to select the various wall layers in a plan or section and sketch new boundaries for that layer. it doesn't effect the model just the particular view you are working in see attached file I've used the edit cut profile tool at the head but not the sill. I have also used the paint tool to apply the plaster board finish to the sill but not the head (this can be seen in the 3D view.

Michelle Gibson
2005-04-15, 01:13 PM
I will try the edit profile and see how it works. I am guessing I may be replying to you shortly!