PDA

View Full Version : toggle arrow pencil?

3dway
2008-10-21, 02:31 PM
Can you toggle between the arrow and pencil using the keyboard?

It would be swell if you could. I searched out a post that suggested shift and control functions for selection.

It would also be nice if the first letter of each button on the active menu, activated that command.

Then I could swith between line and reference plane as I draw profiles and I could either draw off a point or copy an existing line all with a keystroke or two.

On top of that, lets throw in a couple of hotkeys that bump you up and down the buttons on the menu. One keystroke for up one, down one, top and bottom should do it.

Anyone have any suggestions for these?

patricks
2008-10-21, 02:58 PM
Can you toggle between the arrow and pencil using the keyboard?

It would be swell if you could. I searched out a post that suggested shift and control functions for selection.

It would also be nice if the first letter of each button on the active menu, activated that command.

Then I could swith between line and reference plane as I draw profiles and I could either draw off a point or copy an existing line all with a keystroke or two.

On top of that, lets throw in a couple of hotkeys that bump you up and down the buttons on the menu. One keystroke for up one, down one, top and bottom should do it.

Anyone have any suggestions for these?

The "pencil" mouse pointer icon is used for many different commands, including walls, model and drafting lines, reference planes, insulation batting lines, revision clouds, and so on. What command would you suggest be activated when the pencil icon is toggled on? Then of course, Escape gets you back to the Modify selection arrow.

Several tools in the design bar begin with the same first letter. That's why keyboard shortcuts use 2 letters. If you look under the Drafting menu, you'll see that RP on the keyboard toggles the Reference Plane command.

I think you just need to set up custom keyboard shortcuts for the tools you use the most.

3dway
2008-10-21, 04:00 PM
I guess it feels like I spend the majority of my time, [so far (just learning and haven't yet got past modelling into making working drawings)] editing footprints, paths and profiles for sweeps, roofs, withing the family editor etc.

The hitch in that workflor for me is:
1-mousing for the pencil or the arrow
2-the text entry window for offset distances

I'm in various commnads, but I'm always editing a magenta line for a path or footprint when I want this functionality.

For the text entry, I sometimes find the window too small, it reversed numbers if I type too quickly or depending on the way I hilight/drag the mouse in the window (left right, or right left). When I'm editing these profiles, typing numbers doesn't seem to invoke any particular commands, why not send numbers right to the offset distance instead of having to mouse to the little box?

Probably just suggestions... in a positive light this means I'm working on workflow now instead of just finding the commands.