PDA

View Full Version : Occupancy Calcs

smarttiger
2008-10-21, 10:33 PM
I’m trying to create an annotation tag family that will automatically input the room area (just like a an area tag) and then use that to calculate the total number of occupants (based on the occupant load I punch in). I’ve got this to work using a generic annotation family where I’d have to punch in the room area myself and revit calcs the rest but since revit already has an area calculation feature it would only seem natural that revit does it all. I’ve tried this with an Area Tag but can’t seem to get the formulas to recognize Areas as a valid family parameter.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

sjsl
2008-10-22, 03:14 AM
Forget this idea. not possible unless someone figures out how to code this into the program. It has been asked for for many years now. They do not care about this type of Tag even though everyone one of us have a need for this every project. But think of it this way we did get this really nice Cube and Steering wheel.

jtobin.68416
2008-10-22, 09:25 AM
I’m trying to create an annotation tag family that will automatically input the room area (just like a an area tag) and then use that to calculate the total number of occupants (based on the occupant load I punch in).

Thanks in advance

This is not possible in the way you describe, but there are a boatload of posts on this forum that tell you how to automatically calculate occupant loads.

Do a search under "occupancy" and you'll see posts on how others have used either Room properties or Area Plans to calculate the number of occupants.

John Tobin

smarttiger
2008-10-22, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the response. I already have a tag working that calcs the occupants out as long as I manually punch in the area of the room.

I've got to say that Revit continues to unimpress me. It's become no more than a modelling tool where the "I" in BIM is a tiny, tiny "i" ...

vgonzales
2008-10-22, 06:37 PM
Revit it seems has no built-in feature to access and organize information in a flexible manner. Revit I agree is limited in harnessing the information portion of its capability. The components of the database is there but being able to extract it and use it in any practical manner is limited to the artificial constraints imposed by the program.

Occupant load tags is just one of many examples that Revit seems to fail miserably.
Revit is still usable to a certain extent but it is frustrating to the BIM process when it cannot perform to its full potential.

Another wishlist item is needed for this required feature for Revit. Occupant Load Tags.
Revit MEP has Spaces instead of Rooms that allow one to calculate occupant load. I wonder if Revit Arch need Spaces as well.

chris.macko125036
2008-10-22, 07:09 PM
I know its not exactly the clean tag approach to code analysis issues, but you cans till create all the occupancy and travel distance information in a schedule and place that on your sheets. We had a few people in the office throw a fit that the numbers weren't on the plan, but when they realized how much time and innacuracy it would save they accepted it.