PDA

View Full Version : Objects first, materials second - Wish Granted in 6.0

Martin P
2003-08-13, 04:07 PM
I would like to create objects first then materials second - as opposed to materials first, objects second which is they Revit makes you work, unless you have a big list of materials in you base file - which is very annoting as I end using hardly any of them.

Can I get a way to create a new material when assigning materials to say the layer in a wall, as opposed to already having though of every material I might need in adavance, or having to come all the way out of the wall properties just to make a new material.

Phil Palmer
2003-08-13, 04:14 PM
We need the ability to create 'materials' on the fly.
For example when in the Object Styles dialogue, I want to have a 'new material' option that then takes me to the materials dialogue

This should also be the case for Any dialogue box that pulls up the entire list of materials.

Its a total pain having to remember the order.

I totally agree objects first !

sbrown
2003-08-13, 05:54 PM
Excellent idea, basically it should be at the top of the materials list when going to select a material <add material> just like in the family editor when you pick a dimension and go up to label it and you either chose an exist. parameter of <add parameter>

PeterJ
2003-08-13, 08:30 PM
Better yet, could the materials library, not just the render materials, not be outside the project and you link in as you go? That way I wouldn't have a slightly different definition of lead in each project.

What I think I mean is something similar to the materials library but with the surface and cut pattern already associated with the material so that I don't have to start a project with an unneseccary collection of fill patterns and material difinitions, just the small handful defined in the template but I can pull in a defined material as and when I create a new object or system family.

P

Martin P
2003-08-14, 08:43 AM
Better yet, could the materials library, not just the render materials, not be outside the project and you link in as you go? That way I wouldn't have a slightly different definition of lead in each project.

What I think I mean is something similar to the materials library but with the surface and cut pattern already associated with the material so that I don't have to start a project with an unneseccary collection of fill patterns and material difinitions, just the small handful defined in the template but I can pull in a defined material as and when I create a new object or system family.

P

Like that idea, if it could be accessed by picking the "Add new material" that would be a really nice addition.

Martin P
2003-10-20, 03:33 PM
:oops:

I must have been VERY busy the day I typed that wish!! I do know how to spell believe it or not, obviously I just dont know how to type :lol:

Richard McCarthy
2003-10-24, 05:01 AM
I agree, an automatically assigned default of material base on what it is (with all it's associated physical properties so rendering can be accurate or maybe in the future physical simulation eg. integrated acoustical simulation) would be possible ! :D

-RM

Richard McCarthy
2004-09-21, 01:54 AM
:oops:

I must have been VERY busy the day I typed that wish!! I do know how to spell believe it or not, obviously I just dont know how to type :lol:

You are one SMART baby Martin.P !

:)