PDA

View Full Version : Can't get my head around doors in curtain walls

Exar Kun
2004-10-01, 02:43 AM
Well, the title about says it all. What is the best way to go about putting a door into a curtain wall?

Thanks.

beegee
2004-10-01, 02:54 AM
1. Load a curtain wall door. ( Standard in Metric Library or special (search here ) or you can make a family for your own )

2. Place Curtain wall.

3. Place curtain wall grid. ( if using the "storefront" curtain wall, a grid is already placed. )

4. Tab with cursor over CW until a "system panel" is selected.

5. From the drop down type menu, swap out that panel for a curtain wall door previously loaded.

6. Place mullions at grids.

Exar Kun
2004-10-01, 04:03 AM
Thanks very much mate. :)

SCShell
2004-10-01, 03:03 PM
Hi there,

I thought that I would throw out the "Intermediate level Tutorial" for doors in Aluminum Storefront systems.

The loaded door panels which come loaded in Revit are great for curtain wall systems which are very different from storefront aluminum (which I use more) for most projects. I wanted a door which had the aluminum stiles, both medium and narrow.

Here is what I did:
First, open the factory door family for curtain wall door. Make and save a copy as Storefront Aluminum Door - Narrow Stile, or something. Then edit that new door with a sweep profile around the perimeter of the glass panel door to show the aluminum stiles. (Remember to set the material to Aluminum. I know that there are members here which can offer the "Advanced Tutorial" on how to set instance and type parameters to this so that you can adjust the stiles. In addition, you can edit and change the door hardware to be a push/pull plate instead of the one provided stock.) Once done and saved, you can then load this new door into your project and have it available for selection when doing your Panel selection as outlined above in Beegee's post. Oh, and don't forget to delete the "one segment" of mullion under the door you just added.

Hope this helps.
Steve Shell
Architect