PDA

View Full Version : 2d-3d elements

STHRevit
2008-10-23, 10:22 AM
Hi,
I am having difficulty in creating a toilet family consisting of 3 x 2d elements.
i can get the linework in so that the plan, front and side elevations loook correct, however, when i place a masking region in the family to mask floor and wall tiles, it doesn't work.
Any idea why?

clog boy
2008-10-23, 10:26 AM
Hi,
I am having difficulty in creating a toilet family consisting of 3 x 2d elements.
i can get the linework in so that the plan, front and side elevations loook correct, however, when i place a masking region in the family to mask floor and wall tiles, it doesn't work.
Any idea why?

What doesn't work? How does it show now and what would you like it to look like?
Are the 2D elements CAD imports, model lines, or detail lines? Our toilet families are partially the same and it works fine when grouping the masking region with detail lines.
For plumbing documents don't forget to make the masking region invisible in coarse detail level and change the detail level for your plumbing documents to coarse.

STHRevit
2008-10-23, 10:42 AM
Ok more clarification.

Family was made with model lines and consists of, plan linework, front ele linework and side ele linework. Each view has a masking region as well.

When i load the family into the project, the plan, front and side elevations show as they should in the relevant view, linework indicating the particular toilet suite, thats great.

We have used a filled region on the floor slab to indicate tiles ie to a bathroom.

What we would like it to do, is to mask out the tiles where the toilet is in plan.

It works as a simple detail component with only the plan in it, as they do not support multi views, but it won't work as a plumbing fixtuer family.

not sure what i am missing.

clog boy
2008-10-23, 10:54 AM
Ok more clarification.

Family was made with model lines and consists of, plan linework, front ele linework and side ele linework. Each view has a masking region as well.

When i load the family into the project, the plan, front and side elevations show as they should in the relevant view, linework indicating the particular toilet suite, thats great.

We have used a filled region on the floor slab to indicate tiles ie to a bathroom.

What we would like it to do, is to mask out the tiles where the toilet is in plan.

It works as a simple detail component with only the plan in it, as they do not support multi views, but it won't work as a plumbing fixtuer family.

Have you tried making a floor type with tile pattern?

Scott Womack
2008-10-23, 01:49 PM
Ok more clarification.

It works as a simple detail component with only the plan in it, as they do not support multi views, but it won't work as a plumbing fixtue family.

First, the lines in each view should have been Symbolic, not model lines. If the floor plan view is right on the slab, and you put a finished floor material at 1/8" thick over the slab, then that will cover up the model lines, making them disappear. Symbolic lines are not affected in that way.

I have placed masking regions in families, and they work. It is possible that the model lines are causing an issue.

DaveP
2008-10-23, 02:45 PM
We started going down that route, too, but I'm wondering - by the time you've made a Plan View, Left Elevation, Front Elevation, Right Elevation, added Masking Regions, etc, etc, etc, have you really saved anything?
Yes, the 3D needs to do the Hidden Lines, but so does the Masking Region.

Plus, the Left, Right, and Front Elevations only work when perfectly square with the View. We do a lot of curved Walls, or walls with funky angles, so we often need the 3D View anyway.

Is there truly an advantage in making 2D families with Making Regions over pure 3D Families?

jeffh
2008-10-23, 02:51 PM
Is there truly an advantage in making 2D families with Making Regions over pure 3D Families?

If all of your families were pure 3d geometry you would probably see a performance impact. Symbolic linework requires less CPU overhead to display.

sbrown
2008-10-23, 04:09 PM
I always start by making 3d geometry only. Then if I need lots of the object or performance becomes an issue I modify the family to add symbolic lines and masking regions.

STHRevit
2008-10-24, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the input guys, the thing is we are and outsource company that work for several Architects and they each have specific items and symbols they like to use.

I would love to use 3d items everywhere but i simply don't have the time or the knowledge to model each and every fitting and fixture ot suit each client, and as we were "Autocad" based and switching to Revit, our library is all dwg.

Add this to the fact that I can't find any 3d toilets etc that look any good. Got any suggestions where I cna find some?

As Jeff has mentioned we have already noticed some performance issues as we have had to model the steel roof frame for design analysis.

I will try the symolic line theory and try to source some good 3d elements.

Thanks all.

mruehr
2008-10-24, 05:00 AM
look at this

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=3184&highlight=lightweight+toilets

special the Armitage Toilets this should help you get going
I personaly use detail families nested into the Plumbing Family
if you dont get further come to the next Revit Usergroup im happy to show

cheers

clog boy
2008-10-24, 06:45 AM
I'm playing the Devil's advocate again...
Let's say you're selling your houses with specific kinds of toilets, bath tubs, etc and the more expensive versions are optionable. You can make a basic toilet that gets quite close to a real one, but not perfectly. It's quite sufficient to see a model in 3D that says 'I'm a toilet', but it does need to be spot on in plan views and sections.

So am I going to spend a day modelling one? Or am I going to spend 20 minutes requesting CAD drawings and make 2D detail views?

d.stairmand
2008-10-24, 07:56 AM
I have encountered this Masking Region problem numerous times!
Typically my problem is that the Masking Region is at the Floor Level in the Family. It needs to be a bit higher - so that it can be above the Tiles of the Floor that it sits on.
We generally have a Ref Plane 25mm above the Floor Plane within the Family.

clog boy
2008-10-24, 08:22 AM
Try this and see if issue persists.