PDA

View Full Version : Unique Family Type Data and the Door Schedule

mbogusz
2008-10-24, 03:54 PM
My question is about creating new unique Family Type data, and if and how a door schedule will recognize the new data. What are the details in the family and door schedule to make this happen? For instance, in my door family, I have created new text parameters under id data. They are: Frame Material with a value of WD, Frame Finish - PNT. I would like the door schedule to recognize those newly created parameters and it's value. I have set up the door schedule to show the FM and FF but it will not automatically update when I use the door in the project. Does it have to deal with creating shared parameters? I'd appreciate any direction on this.

Thanks.

greg.mcdowell
2008-10-24, 04:14 PM
Shared Parameters are necessary whenever you want to expose the data in a tag. If you just want to schedule it you don't need them to be shared but you will need them at least as Project Parameters that you'll need to manually create in the project (i.e., they're not availiabe automatically the way they are if they're shared).

This from memory (and I haven't done it in awhile) so if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will let us know.

mbogusz
2008-10-24, 04:36 PM
Thanks Greg, I'm learning a little more about how shared params work. I still have a sneaky suspicion that I can use a shared param txt file and the family editor to fill in the blanks on my door schedule inside another project.

mbogusz
2008-10-24, 04:54 PM
Well this sucks. I just tried out my new idea with no luck. I always like to test these things out until exhausted. I'm about there now.

Munkholm
2008-10-24, 05:10 PM
Shared Parameters is indeed the right tool for you ! But keep in mind that the shared parameters you create, are unique instances (Controled by machine generated GUID numbers), and you´ll need to make use of the SAME "Shared Parameters.txt" in both your family, tag family and your project, in order to get it to work.

mbogusz
2008-10-24, 05:32 PM
Yes! It works! I was just on the verge of letting Greg know, and I noticed a new reply. It's definately not as complicated as I made it out to be. I'm relieved. Thanks to the both of you.