PDA

View Full Version : supplemental detail

t1.shep
2008-10-28, 03:53 AM
We need to create a supplemental detail that is a view of a sheet, not a model view. We made changes to the text on the sheet, I have my general notes and keynotes on the sheet and not in the model views, but I can not create a duplicate view of the sheet. Basically I need to take a portion of a full sheet and crop a portion down to an 8.5 x 11 size title block, but I may need to change the scale in order to make it fit.
How can I do this?

Scott Womack
2008-10-28, 10:11 AM
We need to create a supplemental detail that is a view of a sheet, not a model view. We made changes to the text on the sheet, I have my general notes and keynotes on the sheet and not in the model views, but I can not create a duplicate view of the sheet. Basically I need to take a portion of a full sheet and crop a portion down to an 8.5 x 11 size title block, but I may need to change the scale in order to make it fit.
How can I do this?

You cannot. You'd have to duplicate every view on that sheet, and then create a new sheet with a slightly different sheet number, place the duplicated views, etc.

In this case you may be forced to reissue the sheet as the Supplemental drawing.

The only work-around I can see, is to make a PDF, turn it into a jpg, link the JPG of the sheet into another view, and issue that.

Even in the vast majority of CAD, placing notes on the sheet, was never a good idea. Why did you place the Text on the Sheet and not in a Legend view? In that manner the Legend view could be changed, placed on a smaller sheet, and then that issued.

Mike Sealander
2008-10-28, 12:23 PM
More optimistically, take all your notes on the sheets, and Copy/Paste them into legend views. Legends are great in that you can have them appear over and over again. I use them for "Sheet Notes" on floor plans, for instance. Same note on each floor plan sheet. It's like an ACAD block.

sbrown
2008-10-28, 12:26 PM
You could also make them a detail group, then copy that detail group to an 8.5x11 titleblock sheet.

t1.shep
2008-10-28, 03:15 PM
You cannot. You'd have to duplicate every view on that sheet, and then create a new sheet with a slightly different sheet number, place the duplicated views, etc.

In this case you may be forced to reissue the sheet as the Supplemental drawing.

The only work-around I can see, is to make a PDF, turn it into a jpg, link the JPG of the sheet into another view, and issue that.

Even in the vast majority of CAD, placing notes on the sheet, was never a good idea. Why did you place the Text on the Sheet and not in a Legend view? In that manner the Legend view could be changed, placed on a smaller sheet, and then that issued.

The reason I place my notes and keynotes on the sheets, I think, is because that's where I was once told to do it from a training course I took. And it just made sense. Model in your model views, but place sheet notes on the sheet. Things like leaders and such I put in the model, only general notes that apply to the sheet they're on go on the sheet. Reference notes are also part of the issue. These are in a legend and are tied to a keynote schedule filtered by sheet. Seemed to make sense to me, plus that way I don't have a legend view for every general note clogging up the browser and the text is right there where I need it, on the sheet. Putting the general notes in a legend doesn't make sense for us because it's very rare that the same general notes are used for multiple sheets. But I guess that's all personal preference...
I'm thinking that now it might be easiest to more or less make a copy of the revised sheet, using duplicate views and copy to same location, but make a sheet with the appropriate 8.5 x 11 title block. I'll have to see how that works.
Ideally, I think Revit needs a tool similar to the callout tool, but specifically for sheet views. I think they could make it so that the sheet callout is only able to reference the sheet, and not reference the model so that there aren't conflicts with references and duplicate views. The sheet reference would be an annotation that doesn't plot (so you can see it on the referenced sheet) and would somehow be tied into the revision schedule. Plus, when you make the sheet callout, it would create the view with the appropriate 8.5 X 11 titleblock (I guess that could be done with view templates). Also, the sheet callout would allow you to change scales so that it will fit on the new smaller sheet size.

My idea about duplicating views wasn't as efficient as I thought. I would have had to reformat all my text, including the keynote legend, to get it to fit on the page. So I would have needed to change a bunch of things, print and then undo everything again.