PDA

View Full Version : family naming conventions - library organizations

sbrown
2003-08-13, 06:00 PM
Our whole office now uses revit and it has become painfully obvious that standards are needed.

1. family names- what are others naming their families, ie. a door family that you have added a transom to and custom trim.
it gets very long if you just add on to the dbl-...whatever.

(each category has its issues)

2. where do people store "user created" families, ie locally or central, if central how do you control it so people know where things are.

3. parameter names(shared parameters has helped this greatly)

This is basically the issue Jim has been working on with the AUGI family submission.

Jim, do you have a document that has examples for each category of family and a naming convention?

Carl
2003-08-13, 08:21 PM
Some insight on this issue will be very much appreciated - C

J-G
2003-08-13, 11:42 PM
Jim B will probably have a better suggestion, but I opted for a more descriptive approach. I was talking ot a computer programmer, and he argued that if the software can support long file names why not use them? I looked at his setup and have been using a simular system for all of my files (even office documents and folders). I personaly like it much better becasue there is no guessing and no learning becasue it is self explanatory.

In the Acad days we used codes for everyhting. Detials and such used masterformat, and out ADT styles used a take off from the AIA layer format, i.e. 04 for masonry, 06 for wood, fndn for foundation, etc. a concrete wall might have been named fndn - 03 - 8"...or somthing like that anyway. Now I used a full description starting with the highest category. Some examples:

Column - Masonry - Tapered veneer over Structural Core - A.rfa
Masonry - Veneer Flared - 6in Thick with 4in Cap - SSG.rfa
Roof - Rafter - Wood - Round End - with placement angle.rfa
Roof - Rafter - Wood - Seat Cut - No Tail.rfa
General Sheets - Cover Page Title - SSG.rfa
General Sheets - General Information - SSG.rfa

Documents....

Phase 1 - PreDesign - Owner Identification.doc
Phase 4 - Condocs - Checklist - Basic Sheet Content.doc

Anyway that has been my direction...it will be interesting to see what the other input is. It seems more direct then creating codes for everything that your users have to learn. Basically you could just set up a general hierarchy and some standard folder locations and names. For someone who unserstands the basic construciton process it would be fairly self explanatory. This seems to be what Revit has done with its standard families and if the hierarchy is followed there is not such a need for layers of folders becasue the files will sort based on their file names.

jbalding48677
2003-08-14, 12:16 AM
We have settled on an AUGI standard. I am at home right now and don't have it at my fingertips, but it is a comma delimited format with family,type,mfr,model... Something like that. We are not asking people to submit them that way, bet we are hoping to rename them upon submittal so that they will have an AUGI name and an original name.

I will pos tmore if time and memory permits tomorrow.

mcc
2010-04-01, 08:55 PM
i guess you forgot