PDA

View Full Version : Sharing "Shared Parameteres.txt"

Munkholm
2008-10-28, 09:29 AM
I´m hoping that some of you guys can help me clarify this.
We´re a group of maybe 50 companys, who which to colaborate on the task of building custom families, which suits our local needs.
The BIG question is: Can we share a common "shared parameters.txt" across multiple networks, or is the GUID tags in the text file, bound to certain domains when created ?
I´m hoping that "Company A" can create, let´s say a door family, using a preconfigured "shared parameters.txt" to apply a parameter for let´s say "Undercut"
Now hopefully "Company B" can download this family, along with the "Shared Parameters.txt", and be able to create their own tag (and/or schedule), using the "Undercut" paramenter.

Hope I make make myself clear enough, with my 6th grade english.

Thanks in advance.

brenehan
2008-10-28, 11:34 AM
I think the general answer would be yes.
In something like that, you just need to manage the shared file well. Considering it is such a small file, it can be stored easily in one shared location.
The Shared Parameter test file works off an ID that is generated by Revit. This ID is unique, and this is how Revit can share it between different projects and families.
An example is - PARAM 740e1a11-8288-454a-81fb-73373b7e3ea0

I would recommend that only one person manages the Shared Parameter test file, and ensure all your parameters comply with your Office OA and are not used all ready in Revit as a System Parameter.
Brian

aaronrumple
2008-10-28, 01:40 PM
Not only do you have to manage the text file, but you also have to issue and maintain clear guidelines on how the parameter should be used. There is nothing that would prevent someone from using "undercut" for a toilet dimension.

Munkholm
2008-10-28, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the reply´s guys.

Agreed that it´s got to be managed VERY carefully - Just got confirmation from Autodesk that it´ll work, though Autodesk also recomends beeing carefull.

(The GUID´s in the shared parameter.txt is NOT related to the domain onwhich it was created, and can therefor be shared across multiple networks)