PDA

View Full Version : View List & View Templates

DaveP
2008-10-28, 02:56 PM
We've been doing a lot of work on our View Templates lately, and I just had the brilliant idea of making a View List schedule that would help us make sure we had the correct Default View Template assigned to all of our Views.
Imagine my disappointment when I found out the Default View Template is not available in the list of fields for the schedule.

Am I missing something, or is it time for me to head to the Wish List Forum?

Scott Womack
2008-10-28, 03:06 PM
We've been doing a lot of work on our View Templates lately, and I just had the brilliant idea of making a View List schedule that would help us make sure we had the correct Default View Template assigned to all of our Views.
Imagine my disappointment when I found out the Default View Template is not available in the list of fields for the schedule.

Am I missing something, or is it time for me to head to the Wish List Forum?

Even though you have the default view template set, changes to the view templates still have to be "applied" to the views. At that time it will fill in the default view template. We use this to verify that a view has had the view template applied at least once.

DaveP
2008-10-28, 03:57 PM
Wait a minute. How's that work?
When you Apply a Template, it doesn't change the Deafult, does it? That would be really bad.

As to my original question, though, I thoug it would be real handy to be able to look at a schedule and see which Default each View was using rather than opening each View one at a time. Even doing Properties from the Project Browser would still be one by one.

Scott Womack
2008-10-28, 04:25 PM
Wait a minute. How's that work?
When you Apply a Template, it doesn't change the Deafult, does it? That would be really bad.

As to my original question, though, I thoug it would be real handy to be able to look at a schedule and see which Default each View was using rather than opening each View one at a time. Even doing Properties from the Project Browser would still be one by one.

Nope, I evidently misspoke. IF you have set the Default template, applying a different one will not change it. If it is set to NONE, then applying a view template will change that, to what was applied.

You can select numerous views from the browser, and as long as they are the same type of view, all plans, all elevations, etc. you can then right-click on the group and the Default View Template is available to you there. I'm not sure why that instance parameter is not available in a View List, when other parameters, including project applied parameters are available. Probably only the Factory, or one of the founders can address that one.