PDA

View Full Version : New to Revit--Help me...

CADTigress
2004-10-01, 06:31 PM
Hello everyone! I have a ? on Revit and wanted to ask the experts who are using it. I won my Revit software at a meeting and am totally excited to use it.. :)

I use Autocad currently, and noticed on the Revit articles that Revit does not have a command line.. I am confused , how do you start a drawing? Do you have to import a ready made file and then configure it w/Revit? :(

Sorry if this is a dumb ? , but I was used to using ADT2i and now I have Revit, but I want to start a drawing from scratch. Can you still do that like you can create a drawing from scratch in Autocad?

Dimitri Harvalias
2004-10-01, 06:39 PM
First of all, congratulations on winning the prize. Tell me where I can enter.
You don't really start a 'drawing' in Revit. You are creating a project and building a model of that project.
Don't take this as a dismissal but I would really suggest that you open Revit and go to the help menu. Access the 'Getting Started' section and go through the tutorials.
You are dealing with a whole new animal now and it will take a shift in thinking. All you have to do is open up your mind to it and you'll be amazed at what a fun time you can have (oh yeah, you'll probably be more productive too ;) )
Good luck and remember that the forum is always here as a great resource.

CADTigress
2004-10-01, 07:00 PM
MOF, great idea! I appreciate your input & as always TG for the forums! Not only do I get to talk about what I love, but with great people from ALL over the WORLD.... It is amazing...:)

I actually just printed out 3 pdf files from autodesk on Revit. An intro to Revit, revit interoperability w/CAD, and Autodesk Revit for Autocad users..........Yep another animal , but FUN!!!

Thanks again! Hope your weather is nice in Canada..

Kroke
2004-10-01, 07:54 PM
And above all things: DO NOT be thinking AutoCAD while using Revit. It will make things a lot easier :D

CADTigress
2004-10-01, 08:07 PM
And above all things: DO NOT be thinking AutoCAD while using Revit. It will make things a lot easier :D

Okay thanks for the heads up Kroke! It will be hard to not have a command line.. But I have used 3D Viz before and it was all run with icons.. I kept trying to type commands.. silly me...

gregcashen
2004-10-01, 08:26 PM
You can still use aliases...check the keyboardshortcuts.txt file in the program subdirectory under the Revit installation folder on your hard drive.

CADTigress
2004-10-01, 08:32 PM
You can still use aliases...check the keyboardshortcuts.txt file in the program subdirectory under the Revit installation folder on your hard drive.

okay I will try that! thanks! I can't wait to install it this weekend!