PDA

View Full Version : Wall behind repeating detail

sblackburn
2008-10-28, 05:52 PM
I've read some of the posts about building a repeating detail for the brick coursing in a wall - some great ideas there. My question is this - while I am using a brick repeating detail to show the more detailed coursing, I would still like to have other parts of the model wall show in the section. This means that a line shows thru from the model at the outside face of the brick. I would like this line to go away so that the section breaks at the mortar joints. Is there a way to hide just parts of the wall? I have tried the "cut profile" tool, but I would need to cut that whole line of the model out - the entire height of the section. Thanks for any help.

Steve Blackburn
MPA Architects, Inc.

twiceroadsfool
2008-10-28, 06:31 PM
Use the linework tool on the line you dont want to show. Its the little pen with the different lineweights, typically found three icons to the right of spellcheck.

If you put it on <invisible lines> when you use it, the lines will go away one at a time...

aaronrumple
2008-10-28, 07:40 PM
Another option is to let the wall show and add in mortar joints rather than the bricks. The mortar joints can be designed with a masking region to hide the wall linework you don't want to see. I find this a more manageable solution than using the linework tool.

twiceroadsfool
2008-10-28, 08:03 PM
I find your solution all around better, frankly. :)

My issue with repeating details that use opaque detail componenets is they cover up the modeled object entirely, so if something changes in the wall you very well may not see it.

But, im pretty far to the left on modeling more and drafting less. LOL

sblackburn
2008-10-29, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys for the ideas. We have already used the linework tool for this (I should have mentioned that) but I like the idea of masking with the mortar joint. We will try that.

Steve Blackburn