PDA

View Full Version : Best way to model a cranked steel beam

iankids
2008-10-29, 06:08 AM
Hi All,

I am doing some structural modeling (using Revit Architecture) for a building I am designing and trying to figure out the best way to model a cranked beam.

What I am hoping to achieve is a beam (pfc or ub) which is horizontal for part of it's legth and then is cranked at a 45 degree angle to once again become horizontal with the bottom flange of the beam level with the lower section top flange.

The only idea I have come up with is to create separate reference planes for both the horizontal and 45 degree elements of the beam, then create three separate beams using top aligned for one horizontal and bottom aligned for the other plus a beam for the 45 degree plane and the use join geometry to stick them altogether.

Well, what does everyone think, is this on the right track or am I barking (or indeed howling) up the wrong tree?

Thanks

Ian Kidston

Tobie
2008-10-29, 07:01 AM
Hi Ian,
You could just make an in-place family using the sweep tool. Is this what you had in mind?
Cheers,

iankids
2008-10-29, 09:52 AM
Hi Tobi,
Absolutely excellent!

In place family sweep tool - very elegant - I kinda guessed I was over thinking it and approaching it the hard way.

Cheers,

Ian