PDA

View Full Version : Family templates

clog boy
2008-10-29, 07:48 AM
Our office uses 'outdated' family templates. Be it from version 2008 or 9.1. Have family templates improved in recent versions? Does it 'really matter' for their behavior in Revit? Or is it all cool 'n stuff once the file is upgraded by the program?

Suggestions please.

Scott Womack
2008-10-29, 11:31 AM
Our office uses 'outdated' family templates. Be it from version 2008 or 9.1. Have family templates improved in recent versions? Does it 'really matter' for their behavior in Revit? Or is it all cool 'n stuff once the file is upgraded by the program?

Suggestions please.

I don't know if face-based templates or line-based types of families go back to release 9.1 I just don't remember. There have been several threads in this forum where once families get to a certain age, or number of versions back from the current, they may loose the ability to be edited from within a project. Also, if any functionality is added in the next release those families may not take advantage of those items, but it is all nebulous at best.

clog boy
2008-10-29, 11:56 AM
I don't know if face-based templates or line-based types of families go back to release 9.1 I just don't remember. There have been several threads in this forum where once families get to a certain age, or number of versions back from the current, they may loose the ability to be edited from within a project. Also, if any functionality is added in the next release those families may not take advantage of those items, but it is all nebulous at best.

I don't think we're supposed to redesign our entire library every two or three builds.
But I will update our family template library.

Linebased families existed in 9.1. Facebased families were introduced in 9.0. Cant say anything about previous versions.

Any changes throughout history in the standard uneditable family parameters?

Scott Womack
2008-10-30, 10:56 AM
I don't think we're supposed to redesign our entire library every two or three builds.
But I will update our family template library.

Linebased families existed in 9.1. Facebased families were introduced in 9.0. Cant say anything about previous versions.

Any changes throughout history in the standard uneditable family parameters?

I was'nt implying that the library needs to be rebuilt. But the families need to be brought up to the next release, so why not do the same with the templates? As to the parameters, you'll just have to watch each release very closely, since not all changes get listed in the New features, or Known Issues documents for each release.

Mike Sealander
2008-10-30, 12:02 PM
Actually, updating templates has been on my to-do list. As we've become more sophisticated with Revit, the OOTB templates end up being arcane. I'm constantly changing the OOTB scales from 1/2" to 1-1/2" just to get the text size manageable when building small objects, for instance.

Simon.Whitbread
2008-10-30, 07:53 PM
I've updated my 'family update script file' to also add specific company parameters into either families, or the template files (rename template to .rfa, run script, rename to .rft)
This way I can track which version the family was created in, my company name (!!!), WHO created it and when. Its also a good way of introducing my standards (line types, sub-categories) into the templates without having to do a TPS every time I create a family

cliff collins
2008-10-30, 08:15 PM
I'd suggest updating all of them to 2009.

Watch out especially for Light Fixture Families--as these have changed
drastically ( for the better!) with new photometric lighting for Mental Ray/analysis,etc.

It is best to always have all users using the most up-to-date build/service pack,
and updated content.

cheers......