PDA

View Full Version : Need help creating Key Plan

jefft.196572
2008-10-29, 07:15 PM
I'm setting up my sheets and need to place the key plan in my title block. Initially I thought I could simply duplicate the 1st Floor Plan and hide elements/categories and simply drag it to the title block. Well I forgot that you can only have 1 Sheet/View relationship in Revit. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this? I thought about exporting a jpeg of my floor plan but I don't think that would look right in regards to res.

twiceroadsfool
2008-10-29, 07:49 PM
Trace the rough outline of your buildings with a series of drafting lines. Then:

File > New > Family > Annotation Symbol

Paste or trace the lines in that family, and scale the entire "drawing" down until it is the actual size you want in your titleblock (i paste them on the sheet instead of actually on the titleblock, but whatever).

Put filled regions over the different *Areas* of your floor plans, and give them visibility parameters for Area a, Area b, etc. Then just make family types with the correct yes/no boxes on, and load it in to the project or titleblock family.

I tend to put them on the sheet, cuz if theyre in the titleblock, youll need different parameters and/or different titleblock family types for different areas of the project. And what happens on a details sheet? Or a wall section sheet?

But anyway, thats how i do it. Not much point in using a live plan for it. Sure, itll update on the fly... But the ROI is pretty slim, and they can hamper performance having extra live floor plans on every sheet...

mmates
2008-10-29, 07:56 PM
Aaron's explanation is a good one. But if your lazy like me :? you can borrow some examples from the following post:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=49161&highlight=key+plan
Scroll down for the attachments.

jefft.196572
2008-10-29, 08:38 PM
Trace the rough outline of your buildings with a series of drafting lines. Then:

Paste or trace the lines in that family, and scale the entire "drawing" down until it is the actual size you want in your titleblock (i paste them on the sheet instead of actually on the titleblock, but whatever).

Put filled regions over the different *Areas* of your floor plans, and give them visibility parameters for Area a, Area b, etc. Then just make family types with the correct yes/no boxes on, and load it in to the project or titleblock family.

I tend to put them on the sheet, cuz if theyre in the titleblock, youll need different parameters and/or different titleblock family types for different areas of the project. And what happens on a details sheet? Or a wall section sheet?

But anyway, thats how i do it. Not much point in using a live plan for it. Sure, itll update on the fly... But the ROI is pretty slim, and they can hamper performance having extra live floor plans on every sheet...

Thats an awesome idea! I'm going to give that a shot. TY!

ededios
2008-10-29, 11:48 PM

Paste ...

I learned I had to go to my Sheet View and trace! Because I can't paste to a sheet (annotation family) from a plan view :( I did trace my plan twice, but it was still pretty fast to do.

Thank you this worked great! I even have instance of a building we have plans for but for now is not part of the current package, and in case or when it changes we don't have to go back and fuss with the key plan :)

twiceroadsfool
2008-10-29, 11:53 PM
LOL, sorry... The way i really do it is export the plan to DWG, import it, trace THAT, and scale it...

I was trying to make the explanation simpler. I forgot about the sheet/view and project/family thing. DOH!

Carlos GT
2008-10-30, 02:29 PM
What about the "view title" (name, number and scale information) for the key plan?

twiceroadsfool
2008-10-30, 02:40 PM
You put a view title on yours? I dont, since its not a drawing that can get referenced or called out somewhere. I just place the symbol in the corner of the sheet space and call it a day. If you REALLY want it in a view with a title, youll have to make multiple drafting views and put the symbol in there.

ededios
2008-10-30, 08:07 PM
LOL, sorry... The way i really do it is export the plan to DWG, import it, trace THAT, and scale it...

I was trying to make the explanation simpler. I forgot about the sheet/view and project/family thing. DOH!

LOL. . . The way I did it, was change the scale of my working view to 1"=100', then placed that view to a blank area on an already created sheet, traced it and then copy/paste to the family. I didn't have to resize or scale anything, just create filled regions.
It was really simple, and only took ~20 minutes (including the time spent not being able to copy paste from a view to a sheet).
I don't place scale on a key plan either, sometimes a north arrow but that's not difficult to do.

Thank you

twiceroadsfool
2008-10-30, 08:10 PM
No problem! Glad it worked out for you. :)