PDA

View Full Version : Building Orientation (True North)

thand
2008-10-30, 05:38 PM
I know ! I know ! This has been talked about plenty, but after reading several post on the subject I'm still not understanding the concept...

This is what I thought was happening. True North is the actual real world North and Project North just happens to be some arbitrary rotation of your project that looks good orthogonally on paper. Is this not true?

So with that in mind.... If we started a Revit project and created a building not touching any of the settings, but now want to do a Sun/Shade study and True "real world" North is 45 degrees off of what we actually have drawn. What do we do?

Keep in mind, we still want to keep all of our sheets orthogonally the same as we started the project. Meaning we tried the Tools - Project Position/Orientation - Rotate True North and our entire plan rotated 45 degrees. The other option Rotate Project North gave me some error/warning stating that it couldn't be done for some reason which I'm forgetting at the moment.

Just looking for some direction on what I'm doing wrong...

Thanks

mmates
2008-10-30, 07:42 PM
This is what I thought was happening. True North is the actual real world North and Project North just happens to be some arbitrary rotation of your project that looks good orthogonally on paper. Is this not true?
You are correct.

I think you have it but you might be missing one step (2 below). For the view that you want to do a Sun/Shade study such as a site plan:

Duplicate the view.
Set the view property Orientation to True North. (I don't see this in your steps)
Tools - Project Position/Orientation - Rotate True North (as you've already done).This should only effect views with the Orientation set to True North.

HTH,

Simon.Whitbread
2008-10-30, 07:45 PM
Keep in mind, we still want to keep all of our sheets orthogonally the same as we started the project. Meaning we tried the Tools - Project Position/Orientation - Rotate True North and our entire plan rotated 45 degrees.

But its only that ONE view that rotates - and that is because its orientation is now set to true north.
If you go to 'view properties' and set this to 'project north' then...

Voila!

This means you can then duplicate your views and have some set to 'true north' and others set to 'project north'. the sun and shadow studies will behave correctly for the actual location.

HTH

thand
2008-10-31, 07:24 PM
Thanks... I'll give it a try...