PDA

View Full Version : False Exterior Columns

jasonh
2008-10-30, 09:39 PM
I have a project that requires some false exterior columns. Might be best to call these bump-outs. I am needing some suggestions on how to achive the desired results. I have a revit file with 2 walls types, ref planes to show desired wall locations, and text explaining what is needed. Also there is an image link. For those that would rather read this thread, here you go:

Let's say you have a wall brick on CMU wall that is 10' long and in the middle is a bump-out that is 8" from the face, and 2' wide. The bump-out is made from Brick on 3 5/8" metal stud, with no gyp on the inside. What is the best way to remove the brick & rigid insulation from the section of CMU behind the bump-out? Also how do you handle the wierd wall joins that Revit gives you?

I tried splitting the wall and making the segment behind the column a different wall type with no brick & insulation, but i kept getting funky wall joins. I used the wall joins tool and never got a desirable joint.

If you grab the revit file and know how to do these things, please do so and repost the file. I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance to all that respond!

aaronrumple
2008-10-30, 09:45 PM
A. Look ar architectural columns - they join with walls and wrap materials. Plenty of good examples if you do a quick search.

B. Split the wall and use a different wall type in the cavity.

C. Use a masking region to hide elements you don't want to see. (Quick - but not recommened long term.)

patricks
2008-11-03, 02:50 PM
If the pilasters stop at some point before the top of the main wall, then splitting the wall isn't really the best suggestion. It would be better to edit the profile of the main wall around all the pilasters and then infill the openings that are left.

If the pilasters are the full height of the wall, then split away :)

Another option would be to edit the cut profile in plan. You should be able to copy the profile cut lines around the building. Of course this is also a view-specific solution and doesn't actually change the model.