PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Flickering

barathd
2004-10-03, 05:17 PM
Your probably wondering what the heck I am talking about? I had to run Autocad simultaneously with Revit to compare because I thought I was loosing my mind. When I pick any item in Revit I get this instantaneous flicker - just a quick flash. When I do the same in Autocad the image is rock steady. Is this normal behavior in Revit? If so its very annoying. I am using a Quadro Nvidia FX 500 video card.

Regards

Dick Barath

PeterJ
2004-10-03, 09:10 PM
Not familiar with that problem, but I don't use that card.

barathd
2004-10-03, 11:31 PM
Guess what I really would like to know is - when you pick an item within Revit should there be a brief flicker at all? In Autocad NO flicker at all.

Steve_Stafford
2004-10-03, 11:51 PM
I've not noticed a flicker on the pc's I use regularly. The options bar and such do "flash" when you make a selection because it updates with "new" information dependant upon your selection. Where do you need to look to see the flicker?

barathd
2004-10-03, 11:58 PM
Steve:

All I am referring to is this - pick any item and instantly the whole screen will flash. Is this a selection update? Like I say no such thing in Autocad. I don't know why I didn't notice it until know? If this is normal - most peculiar. I have the most recent driver for windows XP professional installed. I have gone thru all the options for the card - nothing there to control this. Is there an option in Revit I am missing? Brand new card - I thoroughly went through all the hardware posts to ensure I was getting a card that would work well with Revit - PNY Quadro Nvidia FX500 - all comments seemed favorable.

Wish I really hadn't noticed this - now its driving me insane. Is this intended to be Revit's method of acknowledging ones pick???

Regards

Dick Barath

beegee
2004-10-04, 12:34 AM
The selected element should just highlight in the selection colour of your choice.
I'm not seeing any flickering at my end.

From memory you're running a black background Dick ? I switched mine to black , but still don't see any problem.

Just a suggestion / stab in the dark - try different selection colours under Settings > Options > General, to see if that makes some difference.

barathd
2004-10-04, 02:19 AM
BeeGee:

Will try your suggestion in the morning when I am back at my PC. I am presently on my Laptop and there is no erratic behavior as I have described. At a total loss.

Regards

Dick Barath

christopher.zoog51272
2004-10-04, 02:22 AM
Steve:
PNY Quadro Nvidia FX500 - all comments seemed favorable.

We have two Quadro FX500's installed, I will cerainly check with my users in the morning, but they have not said anything about this. Personally I use Quadro FX 1100 and haven't seen this bahavior. Another shot in the dark, perhaps the screen refresh setting?

I'll try to reproduce it.

-Z

barathd
2004-10-04, 02:29 AM
Chris:

Refresh rate may prove to be the villain. Would be wonderful if you could take a look at this in the morning.

Thanks every so much.

Regards

Dick Barath

Mr Spot
2004-10-04, 02:58 AM
We have had similar problems with some computers in the office and it usually proves to be a setting in the video card drivers. I not sure exactly cause we haven't used that card particularly but it will most likely be something to do with the vertical sync...

Wagurto
2004-10-04, 03:08 AM
Yes, I have noticed too, while the bigger gets the worst is the effect. I have a 3d labs vx1 oxigen. The flickering it is really anoying.
If you know anything about this please let us know.
Thanks

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-04, 04:27 AM
Dick: video settings in Revit are something of a major point of interest because I see a lot of computers that aren't set up properly for Revit.

Refresh rate is one thing - should be 70Hz or better.

More likely it's a driver problem. While your hardware says it's nVidia, it's more than that: nVidia doesn't make video cards -- they just make the components. Companies like MSI, Asus and Gainward and others take nVidia's goodies and make their own cards and drivers. If you're using a stock Windows driver or a nVidia generic (aka "reference) driver, you're going to get bogus results.

Find out exactly WHO made your card, go to their website and download THEIR driver for your card. And also download Direct X 9 from Microsoft... www.microsoft.com/directx (http://www.microsoft.com/directx) (download the runtime - there's a link for this) -- this also can make a huge improvement.

barathd
2004-10-04, 05:44 AM
Wes:

The card is a PNY Quadro Nvidia FX 500. Thanks for the info.

Regards

Dick Barath

Wes Macaulay
2004-10-04, 02:24 PM
Post back if it solves your problem. I can't live with video problems -- I replaced my video card recently to kaibosh video problems!

christopher.zoog51272
2004-10-04, 03:16 PM
Well, I looked into it, and I'm sorry to say I could not reproduce it. He is using a Viewsonic G220fb Monitor set at 1280x1024 at 85 MHz. (we run all our monitors at the refresh rate) Have you tried messing with the refresh rate?

HTH,

Z.

barathd
2004-10-04, 03:37 PM
I have tried all the suggestions mentioned - changing refresh rate, installing directx 9, changing background color - still flickering. I am using a NEC Multisync LCD 1850E monitor with a PNY Quadro Nvidia FX500 video card. Anyone with a similar configuration? Could the factory perhaps make some suggestions.

Thanks everyone.

Regards

Dick Barath