PDA

View Full Version : Railing Pattern Question

Nevine
2004-10-03, 06:33 PM
Why is the pattern "start" and "end" buttons grayed in the railing property dialog. How can I have posts every 6' not just on ends and corners.

Mr Spot
2004-10-03, 10:56 PM
In the baluster menu there are two windows the lower and the upper. The upper is to define the intermediate balusters and lower section is for defining the start, end and corner posts...

Nevine
2004-10-04, 02:23 AM
The upper part is not allowing me to create a pattern. I need a post every 6'. Do I keep duplicating my balusters every 4" for 6' and adding the post as a baluster before and after? Sounds tedious. Why is the Pattern start and end grayed out? See image in my first post..

beegee
2004-10-04, 02:59 AM
. I need a post every 6'. Do I keep duplicating my balusters every 4" for 6' and adding the post as a baluster before and after? Basically yes.
Create your first post, - Duplicate that row and load in the infill baluster family and set the spacing,keeping in mind that the spacing will be from the post center ( start of rail pattern ) to the center of the infill baluster. Then duplicate again for the next baluster and adjust that spacing to the constant 4". Now just duplicate that row as many times as required for your pattern. Now add the end space, which will be from the center of the last infill baluster to the end of the pattern length, bearing in mind that the post will start again at this point so that spacing needs to take this into account. Set "break pattern" for each segment end and use justify center.

If you now need to add posts at the begiining and end of the railing run, use that second window.

You may also need to play around with the options for excess fill length, depending on the railing length when placed in the project, compared with the pattern length.

Mr Spot
2004-10-04, 03:04 AM
The pattern start and end are greyed out at the top because they are controlled by the bottom section. In the main pattern section (top) set the dist from previous to 6' for the baluster and set the other dist from previous to 0.

Set justify to beginning and the excess fill length to truncate pattern.

EDIT: oops BG beat me to it..