PDA

View Full Version : Curved roofs

dean.j.claxton
2004-10-04, 02:26 AM
Using Revit 6.1, how does one go about creating a curved roof? I'm trying to work out how this is done, but failing miserably so far.

The sort of thing I'm looking at is a roof that when view in elevation curves from a low point at the left side of the building to a high point on the right.

beegee
2004-10-04, 02:50 AM
You would do this using a roof by extrusion.

Set up a reference plane to the angle you want, set this as the woking plane , then create the extrusion.

Mr Spot
2004-10-04, 02:55 AM
BG,

The method you suggested is not possible, (if i understand correctly). I assume you want to create a sloping barrel roof.

There are two methods, an in-place family roof (easiest).

Or Roof by extrusion with in-place void cutting the unwanted section (harder but more flexible).

Hope this helps.

beegee
2004-10-04, 03:16 AM
Yes, sorry, meant to say inplace extrusion roof, not "roof by extrusion"

dean.j.claxton
2004-10-04, 03:20 AM
The type of roof I am looking at is a bit like a quarter of a barrel, but not quite as rounded.

I need to then somehow "stretch" the walls up to fill the area under the curve.

Can this be done? A lot of homes these days seem to have these curved roofs.

dean.j.claxton
2004-10-04, 03:24 AM
Yes, sorry, meant to say inplace extrusion roof, not "roof by extrusion"

Would I draw the walls, draw the curve as a line in the front elevation, then somehow extrude this curve across the structure?

Then extrude the walls up (somehow) to meet the underside of this new curved roof?

Please excuse my ignorance - I'm certainly no architect, but am attempting to use Revit to sketch up my ideas for a home renovation.

While on the topic though, what is the going rate out there (I live in Brisbane) to have an architect visit and develop ideas/drawings etc?

Many thanks
Dean

dean.j.claxton
2004-10-04, 03:30 AM
Hmmm... I think I should really go through all the tutorials - there do seem to be examples of roof extrusions in there which may be useful.

Mr Spot
2004-10-04, 04:18 AM
Here's a quick example.

One create by roof by extrusion (no slope to the curve)

one be in-place family (slope to curve)

I then simply used attached top for the walls to have them trim to the roof.

dean.j.claxton
2004-10-04, 04:41 AM
That's excellent! The non-sloping one is what I had in mind, though the sloping version would be a great entry feature... hmmmm :)

I'm pleased to see that it can be done in Revit :)

Now I need to reverse engineer the steps necessary to create it :)

EDIT : Done! Excellent - thanks for that! I'll play around a bit more with this feature now and see how it comes up.