PDA

View Full Version : Legend Components - Can't see an Elevation View

ededios
2008-10-31, 04:34 PM
Good Day,

One of my users created a floor hosted door, a gate at a stairway. He wants to place it on the door types legend, but we only see a floor plan view of the gate. There is no front or back elevation view, I'm assuming it's because it's a floor hosted object instead of wall hosted. The reason for floor hosting, is there are not walls to place the door in.

Any suggestions on how I make an elevation view of it visible in my door legend?

Thank you!!

twiceroadsfool
2008-10-31, 05:15 PM
Legends work like garbage for a lot of things like that. Do a search here for *Future phase legend* or *past phase legend* and youll see what a lot of us are doing as a workaround.

Were actually modeling it in the future or in the last, and using regular views (elevations and plans) for legends...

Andre Carvalho
2008-10-31, 05:17 PM
Create a door already laid and as a generic model family and later change it from generic model to Door in the Settings > Family category and parameters. There, also make sure Work plane based and shared are checked. Now create a generic model floor based family and bring the door you just created. Then load the main family to your project. It will be floor hosted but because the door is a nested family and also a shared family, Revit will see it as a door and therefore you can view it as a door in the Legend (elevation views and floor plan views will work).

Andre Carvalho

ededios
2008-10-31, 05:59 PM
Create a door already laid and as a generic model family and later change it from generic model to Door in the Settings > Family category and parameters. There, also make sure Work plane based and shared are checked. Now create a generic model floor based family and bring the door you just created. Then load the main family to your project. It will be floor hosted but because the door is a nested family and also a shared family, Revit will see it as a door and therefore you can view it as a door in the Legend (elevation views and floor plan views will work).

Andre Carvalho

Thanks! Worked great!

ededios
2008-10-31, 06:02 PM
Legends work like garbage for a lot of things like that. Do a search here for *Future phase legend* or *past phase legend* and youll see what a lot of us are doing as a workaround.

Were actually modeling it in the future or in the last, and using regular views (elevations and plans) for legends...

I'm still trying to figure this future/past phase thing out. I have seen lots of posts on this so I'm trying to go through all of them before I ask too many questions. It's been a confusing topic for me.

Thank you!

twiceroadsfool
2008-10-31, 07:18 PM
Consider the following Phase setup in a project:

Annot1
Annot2
----------
Existing
Phase1
Phase2

When i need to show things in a Legend, i use Annot 1 or Annot 2. The only reason i have two, is sometimes in a legend i need to show something as existing or demolished. For existing, i model it in Annot 1 and use a view in Annot 2. Same for demo, except i make the object Created in Annot 1 and Demolished in Annot 2.

The trick is, EVERYTHING created in Annot 1 or Annot 2 that isnt already demolished in Annot 2, gets demolished in the phase "----------". (I keep a 3D view set to Show Previos and Demo, in Phase -------). When i open that view, EVERYTHING should be red (demo'd). If its not, i set that object to be demolished in Phase "---------".

The end result, is when Phase "Existing" gets here, there is NOTHING in the model. Nothing to interfere with schedules, quantities, etc.

And in Annot1/Annot2, i just use live floor plans/RCP's/sections for the Legends. :)

ededios
2008-10-31, 09:43 PM
Thank you! This explanation makes sense to me now. Do you create another level or keep things off to the side somewhere on an existing view? I hate having things floating around, I created a level down below any basement levels. But maybe i have to get over that?

Thanks again!

twiceroadsfool
2008-10-31, 09:47 PM
No point having anything floating out in space. I put them all RIGHT around the origin Reference Planes that i have built in my template, and the project goes right on top of them.

Remember, the legends and the projects never exist at the same time, so they can go in the same place, hehehe...

twiceroadsfool
2008-10-31, 09:54 PM
Here is a shot of the *Legends* which are a series of callouts/dependant views (where you need them on multiple sheets, etc), and sections (which i use for elevations).

Here is a shot of the *demo 3d* view i was describing. Its fool proof. Just make sure everything in this view is red. :)

ededios
2008-11-03, 08:03 PM
Those images made it clearer to me, thank you Aaron.
I was wondering how to place the view on multiple sheets. Dependant Views DUH!

Now I feel ready to play with the idea.

Thanks!

ntnik
2008-11-04, 12:30 PM
i like the idea of legend components....i need to learn how to manage (maybe purge them)....but, using them i was unable to cut sections through and generate head jamb and sill details.....so, as suggested i use a "future phase" that way it (the wall with all the doors) just hangs out near the model and i can have elevations and sections from that wall....and i can "eyedrop" doors/windows from the model and match what i need with my "future wall"