PDA

View Full Version : Import Details from AutoCAD

burchd
2008-10-31, 04:50 PM
Is there a way to control the line thickness of named layers when they are imported from AutoCAD?

We use the Detail Component manager in autocad very extensivly. The layers are all controled for line weights. What i am finding is that all imported drawings, line thickness are set to 1.

When we import these, i would like to have them all preset.

Also, is there a way to change All of the line thicknesse on all the same layers, in different drawing imports from 1 thickness to another.... say 5?

Thankyou.

Scott D Davis
2008-10-31, 05:06 PM
File>Import/Export Settings>Import Line Weights DWG/DXF

Use this dialog box to set the AutoCAD colors to import at Revit defined lineweights.

kingjosiah
2008-11-01, 05:52 PM
On the same note, is it possible to map the linetypes being imported? Fingers crossed that i missed something. I only see controls for lineweights.

It would be great to both maintain consistency between native Revit linework and imported. Not to mention that it would help keep the amount of line patterns to a minimum -- especially considering that the imported linetypes can't be purged en masse.

Scott Womack
2008-11-03, 11:09 AM
It would be great to both maintain consistency between native Revit linework and imported. Not to mention that it would help keep the amount of line patterns to a minimum -- especially considering that the imported linetypes can't be purged en masse.

I don't believe you can map the linetypes. When you impost the AutoCAD file, it will create a linetype for EVERY none solid linetype in the AutoCAD file, if there is a hidden linetype in two different details, it will make two different hidden line patterns, prefacing the name of the line pattern with "Imported", and then putting a (2), (3) etc after the name.

Personally, you should try to convert some of these cad files to Revit Drafting views on every project, thereby "spreading" the "cost" of the conversion out over several projects. Drafting views can be Saved to File, or imported from file, similar to CAD files.

Putting a number of CAD files into your project affects performance. After a certain number (no one knows the magic number) it will make your file crawl, and might even "destabilize" it at some point. Trying to minimize the number of AutoCAD files, then Linking them instead of importing them will help, especially in a multi-user environment.

kingjosiah
2008-11-06, 07:35 AM
Thanks Scott. Yeah, i wasn't able to find any option w.r.t. mapping linetypes, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Re: importing details? I'm afraid you're preaching to the choir. It will pain me to see bloated .dwg imports in our revit files, along with all the garbage they will bring. With the time available we'll create revit versions of our library of cad details and use those in lieu of the imports. The hope is, of course, that we'll fully rebuild our library over the course of a few projects.

However, some of our details on one of our current projects will be shared among 3 parties --- ourselves, a partner firm, and a consultant. The consultant is actually contracted to draw the details; they are an autocad only shop, while ourselves and the other firm are revit. We'll be embellishing the details, but ultimately the consultant is responsible for generating the details and any modifications thereafter. Odd situation, yes...at least one that i've never encountered before.

Anyway, the thought of round-tripping details from .dwg to .rvt and back again concerns me more than the dreaded import in the first place. So for now, we've all agreed that we'll all work on those details in autocad and link them into the revit project. I'd be interested in other's thoughts if there is a better way to do this.

- Jon

Scott Womack
2008-11-06, 11:30 AM
However, some of our details on one of our current projects will be shared among 3 parties --- ourselves, a partner firm, and a consultant. The consultant is actually contracted to draw the details; they are an autocad only shop, while ourselves and the other firm are revit. We'll be embellishing the details, but ultimately the consultant is responsible for generating the details and any modifications thereafter. Odd situation, yes...at least one that i've never encountered before.

Anyway, the thought of round-tripping details from .dwg to .rvt and back again concerns me more than the dreaded import in the first place. So for now, we've all agreed that we'll all work on those details in autocad and link them into the revit project. I'd be interested in other's thoughts if there is a better way to do this.

- Jon

Try linking those "round-tripped" details into a separate file as attachment (Not the default overlay), and then linking that file into the main architectural model. At least in that manner, you might be able to protect the main model from some of the "pollution" from the ACAD details.

Revit MEP DR
2009-06-15, 03:32 PM
So I have a bit more detailed question here. What color controller (for lack of a better term) is Revit looking at for the import line weights tool? Specifically does it import the color assigned to the layer, assigned using the current layer key, or object specific color vs by layer. If by chance there were three different colors assigned, Which one will Revit import?

Thanks,
David Raynor

ruthellenwilliams
2009-06-16, 09:57 PM
is it not feasible to print some detail or consultant sheets from autocad instead of trying to get everything into revit at this point?

azmz3
2009-06-17, 02:49 PM
Since we are on our first Revit project, and we havent had much time to perfect our linework for section/elevations, someone on our team did them in CAD, then we made a layer transfer file, so we can map the CAD layer to new layers that are used in Revit, that way when we import into Revit, we can explode, and then all the lines will be on Revit lineswork. This seems to work ok for now, but we need to improve the workflow and our Revit lineweights