PDA

View Full Version : hatch patterns on Imported AutoCAD Drawings

burchd
2008-10-31, 04:52 PM
I am finding that in most cases, hatch patterns come in and are correct as they are viewed / plotted in autocad.

We experiance sometimes hatch patterns which turn into solid, uncontrollable blocks, like a sollid fill.

How do we control how hatch patterns are assigned? Is there some sort of mapping that is required to correctly identify hatches between AutoCAD and REVIT?

Thankyou.

cliff collins
2008-10-31, 06:44 PM
Both Autocad and Revit use the (old/cryptic) .pat file for generation of hatch/fill patterns.

Do a quick search in Revit Help under "fill patterns"--- and also "importing/exporting".

Revit's fill patterns come in two varieties: Drafting and Model.
These are defined in the syntax of the .pat file text.
Drafting patterns only show in individual views where applied/
Model patterns "stick" to the model and show in all views.

As far as some patterns from cad becoming solid/black--it could be a scaling issue.
You may want to check/adjust the scale of the pattern in Autocad, and then re-import
into Revit, to see if this makes any difference?

Also--a word of caution on using cad inside Revit:

- "Link" the cad into Revit, and use Manage Links, -vs- Importing only.
- Make sure to Link only into views you need the cad in--not into all views, as Revit will suffer a performance hit trying to manage the cad in all views.

Cheers.......

burchd
2008-11-03, 07:09 PM
These hatch patterns show up correctly in AutoCAD, but turn black when the detail is imported.

It is allways the same pattern, which is a non standard AutoCAD pattern for Rigid insulation, called Rigid.pat. I have identified a couple of others.

So i found the c:\program files\revit Architecture 2008\data, directory where there were 2 revit.pat files. one metric one imperial. when i copied the custom autocad .pat files to this location, and reinserted as a link the dwg files the missing hatch patterns now showed up.

I am assuming that this is the solution.

However, it would be nice for revit to reference the same hatch patterns as autocad. Is there a way to do this?