PDA

View Full Version : View template problem

STHRevit
2008-11-03, 02:49 AM
Hi All,

I am having trouble with my view templates.
I have a section which I have got to look how i want it, by modifying the VG of individual items I have then created a view template from this view.
When i apply this view template to other sections, nothing changes, so i am stuck with manually adjusting items in each section.
This can't be right, Any ideas?

Also, I cannot seem to get the sub categories to act indipendantly. With Soffits for example, I ave tried to turn off the surface pattern, but it still shows up. I turn off the surface pattern on the main roof visibilty, and it works. Why is there a separate soffit sub category if this doesn't act indipendantly?
This is not the only one i am having difficulty with.

Any help appreciated

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-11-03, 02:57 AM
To the first part of your question, individual element overrides are not stored with view templates. The idea is that enough control should be available through object categories, category VG overrides and family level visibility control that use of element overrides should be minimal.

Can you explain a little more why so many elements require overrides?

luigi
2008-11-03, 03:26 AM
In regards to the soffits...I don't use them often, and don't have revit here at the moment....but if it is similar to wall sweeps, then you have to "assign" the subcategory of Roof/Soffit....if it allows you to assign it to a sub category...then the VG change will work

In terms of your first question about view templates...are you changing the "individual items" as in "element override"? or individual categories?

View templates will work with the changes of categories...not elements....also, not to say it is your issue...but when I work with people that are just learning about View templates, when they assign the View Template as a Default View Template, their instinct is to think that it is an automated thing...and that once you set the "Default View Template" that the view will change...but I need to explain them that you need to "Apply Default View Template" to the selected views...

But, based on how you wrote your post, it sounds like it isn't your issue...since you wrote "...i apply this view template to other sections..."

...if the issue is about element properties....you might want to see how "filters" might help you to globally achieve a specific look...I would be interested, like Dimitri, why these elements might need to be different graphically

Take care,
Luigi

Hi All,

I am having trouble with my view templates.
I have a section which I have got to look how i want it, by modifying the VG of individual items I have then created a view template from this view.
When i apply this view template to other sections, nothing changes, so i am stuck with manually adjusting items in each section.
This can't be right, Any ideas?

Also, I cannot seem to get the sub categories to act indipendantly. With Soffits for example, I ave tried to turn off the surface pattern, but it still shows up. I turn off the surface pattern on the main roof visibilty, and it works. Why is there a separate soffit sub category if this doesn't act indipendantly?
This is not the only one i am having difficulty with.

Any help appreciated

STHRevit
2008-11-03, 11:08 PM
Thanks Guys,

I guess it is a case of over modelling the project. Basically we have 1:100 sections (15 of them) and when printed, because there is too much info in the model, alot of it is coming out as a black blob, with no descernable detail.
So the quick fix was to over ride the visibility of some elements to try to make the drawings readable and then apply this template to each section to gain consistency thriugh the project.

Perhaps we should look at thinning the content of the model in each section by hiding certain elements rather that adjusting the VG of items.

Any suggestions? We are still getting a handle on the best way to do things in Revit.

Thanks again

mruehr
2008-11-03, 11:41 PM
Hi Andrew
a few things come to mind
most properly as you said you overmodeled
Make sure you line-weights are adjusted to your Acad Standard(this is a bit of work)
With Revit you have to think ahead what your output will be and what scale.
Don't use manual overrides unless its 1 or 2 only
when modeling use subcategories for visibility control(but don't go overboard)
for your situation right now

use Filters to hide the objects you want to hide as they will be part of the View Templates

for instance you could make a "Section Hide" Filter add the categories you need to hide,
in Filter Rules take "Comments" equals "Hide"
now you apply this filter to the view and switch of visibility
now type Hide in the comments field of the Object in question and it will hide in the views
with the Filter applied.

hope this helps a bit

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-11-03, 11:42 PM
You can also start by setting the detail level for the 1:100 views to Coarse. This will simplify assemblies (walls, floors, roofs) to double lines that represent the exterior and interior faces for the assemblies.
You can easily override individual object categories and those settings will stick in a view template. For instance if you only want the walls to be shown at coarse level of detail then you can override that setting in the Visibility/Graphics override dialogue.