PDA

View Full Version : Radius dimensions of filled region?

patricks
2008-11-04, 07:36 PM
Why is it that I cannot use the radius dimension tool for filled region lines that are arc shapes? I can place a dimension while in sketch mode, but otherwise I cannot. I use filled regions in details quite often for things like cornice fascias, etc. and it would really be nice to be able to dimension them properly. Right now I've been just placing a drafting line arc on top of the filled region arc's line, and dimensioning that.

Is it a bug?

jeffh
2008-11-04, 07:55 PM
This question brings back a memory for me. I filed this with development a little over a year ago, but never really looked at it agin. I went to look at the status, and this behavior is "as designed".

I think this one could be revisited. If you are on subscription you could file a support request on it. Give the reasons "why" you need this functionality and it can be reopened with development.

cliff collins
2008-11-04, 10:10 PM
In the mean time, just draw model lines over the shape and dimension to them.
( Or, better yet, model the element you are using a filled region to represent! )

cheers.....

gwnelson
2008-11-05, 12:49 PM
Or simply add a ref plane tangential to the radius

patricks
2008-11-05, 10:52 PM
In the mean time, just draw model lines over the shape and dimension to them.
( Or, better yet, model the element you are using a filled region to represent! )

cheers.....

Can't do such things in drafting views :(

And many times in detail views, if I modeled the element exactly as it would look in section as the filled region I'm using, it could potentially bog down the system pretty bad due to all the extra surfaces and facets.

The object in question here is a fiberglass fascia profile on a building. I model the profile for the host sweep as a solid object instead of just the 1/4" thick shape that will actually be built. That way my small-scale building sections don't get real busy with a bunch of extra cut lines and projection lines. We do our final large-scale details late enough in the game that the shape usually will not change by that point.