PDA

View Full Version : vaulted ceiling

Les Therrien
2008-11-04, 09:55 PM
can someone please instruct me as to how to model this ceiling!?!?

Les Therrien
2008-11-04, 09:59 PM
should i do a mass with a cone shaped void then model the trim giving the impression of separate quadrants?

cliff collins
2008-11-04, 10:08 PM
Yes. Create Mass/Void of one side, then mirror.

I beleive you are modeling a "groin vault", if I remember my Arch. history class
back in 1984!

Let us see how it turns out, and tell us how you did it.

cheers.....

Les Therrien
2008-11-04, 10:17 PM
Now so far i've got 2 arched voids coming in each direction to take care of the hallway arches. But I'm now realizing that the sectioned areas which i'm putting these vaults in are not perfectly square. They're slightly rectangular, so I don't think the cone will work. I need to somehow stretch it to be a little more elipticle.
Any ideas????

cliff collins
2008-11-04, 10:23 PM
Try starting with a Dome Mass instead of a cone.
Then build vaults/arches at the quadrants of the "groin" with solid extrusions and voids,
leaving the "ribs" coverging at center of the dome--like the photograph example.

Les Therrien
2008-11-04, 10:26 PM
I think it'll just be easier to make it square and fudge the ends.

I've since come across this which may graphically help someone else.

and yes you are correct. it is called a groin vault. thanks!

eric.piotrowicz
2008-11-04, 10:41 PM
If it is a groin vault the mid point would be at the same height as the centers of the corridors entering it. I can't quite tell if this is true from the angle of the photo. If this is correct you could use two cylinders to void the ceiling in the direction of each corridor. Extruded ellipses would also work if the vault is quite square in cross section. Each ellipse could be a different size also in case the two corridor are different widths.
Hope this helps

Les Therrien
2008-11-04, 10:57 PM
This is the most Revit fun I've had in a while! LoL!

I tried 2 arched voids going in both directions. Though it's really cool, it's not the vault shpae i need like the first picture. I looks more like a starfruit!

It's more like the pic i posted with the word "arris" on it.
I didn't realize at first that they're different. That version has twice as many faces on it.

I'm thinking I may have to model 2 faces first, then the other 2 faces separately for them to merge at the common point.

Norton_cad
2008-11-05, 12:50 AM
I have tried modelling it in AutoCAD, as a 3D mesh. I probably havn't got the geometry the way you want it, but it should be easy to duplicate to your prefered profile.

I see that the surface produced "bulbs out" a bit though, and I'm not sure how to resolve this. I set Surftabs both to 64, so I guess increasing may rectify the "bulb". I used the basic EDGESURF command based on 4 linework edges.

Once you've got it modelled correctly, it should be a simple matter to import it into whatever vertical platform software you are using.

sfaust
2008-11-05, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I think this is one better modelled somewhere else and brought in. Groin vaults in Revit are no problem, as stated above you can just create the crossing eliptical or cylindrical shapes or gothic arch shapes, and voids to cut unwanted portions & you're good to go.

The tricky part about yours is that it's not a direct intersection like that. It starts with 4 arches like a normal groin vault, but the center point is pulled up to exagerate the height, but the arches remain sqare. That warps the surface and makes it a difformed, irregular surface instead of a normal geometric shape, which is what Revit does best. Revit's tools for spline based and irregular type things are improving, but are still fall short of most of the raw 3d modellers on the market.

tomnewsom
2008-11-05, 04:23 PM
I think there might be a way forward with this involving Swept voids. I'm going to go and have a play...

sfaust
2008-11-05, 04:49 PM
argh. I hate it when I have to prove myself wrong. That was a really good post too, I thought.:roll:

here's an example...

tomnewsom
2008-11-05, 04:59 PM
This is pretty close. The ribs don't quite line up but I guess you could hide that with the ribs themselves. An exercise for the reader! The 'gap' would get smaller the more 'square' the arrangement anyway - this example is 3x3.6 meters.

The method uses 4 Blended voids. See attached .rvt - this means that each face of the vault is only curved in one direction, not two as in the real thing, but it looks close enough to the eye.

The 'flat' arches at the portals to the vault can be done with simple arched openings in wall objects.

tomnewsom
2008-11-06, 11:46 AM
argh. I hate it when I have to prove myself wrong. That was a really good post too, I thought.:roll:

here's an example...
Oh! We have a winner. Your method is better than mine :( Nice one!
(Although you could probably make it out of fewer pieces)

Mike Sealander
2008-11-06, 12:58 PM
Revit-licious. Good job.

RKazmee
2019-08-25, 08:08 PM
Hello all! Revamped vault modelled by @tomnewsom after 13yrs :p. And it is my first post on AUGI forums. :beer: